• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe.... but they really missed their chance when the company announced that RAH would be taking half their flying in the near future, the WHOLE group should have said "over our striking body" and see if RAH was ready to step in and fly the whole schedule on day one. Instead, the senior guys facilitated an orderly transfer of flying from Midwest to RAH for what... an extra 6 months of salary. Sooooo short sighted......

Although a nice idea there is this thing called the RLA. RAH pilots coninue there deafening silence.

Rla....

Although a nice idea there is this thing called the RLA. RAH pilots coninue there deafening silence.

Last I heard there are no current prisoners in the US due to RLA violations. I'd say strike or "a mass not show up to work" and either the airline will go out of business, or it will negotiate fairly. RLA only really applies if you have jobs to return to.
Instead, the senior pilots just kept showing up while the junior half was furloughed and when it finally made it to them, they said, wait, you promised........
I'm no RAH fan, but they are right if it was struck work, they'd have more of a chance of rejecting it, but instead, it was not, and they were there right along with the senior MW pilots.
When the company is playing hardball with gernades, you can't show up to the game with a nerf bat and cry foul when the thing explodes in your face.
RLA applies to people negotiating in good faith, there is no LAW requiring people to work for a company at any pay or treatment level, now I agree it takes some cajones to walk away from a cushy capt position in your hometown 717 airline, but sometimes it takes a little longer view than 6 months to see that what the company just did to your bottom half of the seniority list is just the beginning.
Luv!

Last I heard there are no current prisoners in the US due to RLA violations. I'd say strike or "a mass not show up to work" and either the airline will go out of business, or it will negotiate fairly. RLA only really applies if you have jobs to return to.
Instead, the senior pilots just kept showing up while the junior half was furloughed and when it finally made it to them, they said, wait, you promised........
I'm no RAH fan, but they are right if it was struck work, they'd have more of a chance of rejecting it, but instead, it was not, and they were there right along with the senior MW pilots.
When the company is playing hardball with gernades, you can't show up to the game with a nerf bat and cry foul when the thing explodes in your face.
RLA applies to people negotiating in good faith, there is no LAW requiring people to work for a company at any pay or treatment level, now I agree it takes some cajones to walk away from a cushy capt position in your hometown 717 airline, but sometimes it takes a little longer view than 6 months to see that what the company just did to your bottom half of the seniority list is just the beginning.
Luv!

You make some good points. Obviously it easy to armchair quarterback after the fact. Unfortunatley the silence coming from the ranks at RAH speaks volumes. I do not believe they would honor a "picket line" and not fly "their (Midwest) flying." In 1989 when I was on strike at EAL, Continental was flying from east coast cities (like PHL ect) to ATL. They never "crossed a picket line" to do it.

An RAH pilot that showed up to work, and in his schedule was MKE to "XYZ" they would fly it.

The R's all have to do with replacement. No airline has replaced more pilots then Republic. The windfall Republic pilots have gained the last few years come at the expense of many seasoned real jobs at real carriers. Repulic is a disgrace.

M

.........................Says the Gulfstream International Academy washout!

All true....

You make some good points. Obviously it easy to armchair quarterback after the fact. Unfortunatley the silence coming from the ranks at RAH speaks volumes. I do not believe they would honor a "picket line" and not fly "their (Midwest) flying." In 1989 when I was on strike at EAL, Continental was flying from east coast cities (like PHL ect) to ATL. They never "crossed a picket line" to do it.

An RAH pilot that showed up to work, and in his schedule was MKE to "XYZ" they would fly it.

You to make some valid observations... I have know way of knowing if RAH would have flown the exact same routes as Midwest or not and I suppose it's a "mute" point at this juncture. But I do think it would have been a lot harder to transition the whole kit-and-kaboodle if MW pilots would have threatened to walk out 7 days after the initial announcement had the company not really negotiated something.
I guess some would say the company did want to negotiate, and that was for the flying to be done at RAH rates, and then people have to decide if that is what they are willing to do. Unfortunately, the company seemed to enjoy the best of both worlds as senior pilots hung on and flew to the "last day" at their rates and facilitated the transfer over to RAH rather than accept RAH rates themselves.
Who knows, I've never personally been in that situation and hope not to, and I'm sure it is very tough to leave the comfy captains seat in your hometown once you've obtained that, but all was lost eventually anyway. Ironically, the RAH pilots would say they enjoy the growth because it gives them more PIC time so they can someday get that coveted Capt position at a major airline in their hometown.

Sorry for the tangent, but I have a question.

I happened to see some MEP1XXX flights on flightaware. I assume this is the new one (Midwest Express Partners), but the 1XXX flights use to be the Skyway 1900 runs. Another thing that caught my eye was that there were no aircraft type assigned to the flight plan.There are a ton of these in the scheduled sections. I go digging a little more and they are the Chautauqua E135 flights (old ExpressJet planes, right?).

So with these being listed as MEP flights, are they adding the E135 to the Midwest (YX) certificate?

Any Midwest guys and gals that have answers to the following questions:

1. How many of you were flying the line (not on furlough) when RUH took over

2. How many of you that were on the line are flying now?

3. How were your incorporated into the SL at RUH?

Just curious because I have heard various reports....

Just an approximate numbers:

1- 128
2- 87, will be 0 by year end after all the remaining B717 are sent to Click (Mexican airline).
3- Still working on it, no integration as of yet.

EDIT: the top numbers are true as of the date Republic closed the deal on Midwest only, the number of the pilots on Midwest seniority list was 400 and another 200 or so Skyway pilots.

Last edited:
Sorry for the tangent, but I have a question.

I happened to see some MEP1XXX flights on flightaware. I assume this is the new one (Midwest Express Partners), but the 1XXX flights use to be the Skyway 1900 runs. Another thing that caught my eye was that there were no aircraft type assigned to the flight plan.There are a ton of these in the scheduled sections. I go digging a little more and they are the Chautauqua E135 flights (old ExpressJet planes, right?).

So with these being listed as MEP flights, are they adding the E135 to the Midwest (YX) certificate?

I can't help you with the flight numbers question, but the E135's are Chautauqua's parked Delta painted planes. These planes are on the Chautauqua certificate.

Latest resources

Back