Midwest Express pilots screw their own.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flydaplane

Pilots voted down by almost a 2 to 1 margin a projected .7 to 1.0% assesment to give a health care stipend ($250) bucks a month for their fuloughed pilots. Thanks a lot guys! (by the way my cobra costs $780.00 a month)
We'll remember this when we're working on the new contract and you start crying about retirement. In the "brotherhood" of the union, you all just showed your true colors. What comes around goes around.

Has any other carrier's pilots voted down a program instituted by their own union to help their own furloughed pilots?

Selfish, selfish, selfish! Enjoy that .7 %

AA Pilots haven't even considered it. They did offer to pay for useless memberships to AEPS though. What a joke. Those of us that are getting hosed now need to remember this so that one day we don't do the same to those that come after us.

Sorry to hear about that decision. I believe that NWA voted to cover all cobra costs for furloughed members, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I believe that all ALPA member should pay into a "furlough benefit" pot to help pay for things like insurance. Similar to stike fund we did last year. My costs was around 1% when I sent my strike checks, but I think the impact of everyone participating was substantial. Has anyone contacted national about such a program?

Not that it is worth much now, but I think that you will be able to deduct all of your cobra costs from next years taxes.

I was on strike last year at Comair and unfortunatley you can only deduct COBRA or any other medical expense when it exceeds 7.5% of your income.

DougCorp-9 said:
I was on strike last year at Comair and unfortunatley you can only deduct COBRA or any other medical expense when it exceeds 7.5% of your income.

It occurs to me that paying $700+ per month fee for Cobra is probably a bit more than 7.5% of someones annual income for a pilot who is relatively junior at a regional and many nationals!

As a fellow furloughed Mid Ex pilot, I can in detail recall as we were flying our last days before furlough. I distinctly recall every pilot saying, "we won't forget you and we will fight for you and support you in your furlough, stay unified!!" Well, I guess it is easy to say that when you assume the only support you need to give is emotional. We certainly saw the true colors of our cowardess flight department when presented with the reality of supporting the furloughed pilots with a very small financial assistance. Boy did they turn and run in the other direction on their support for us. You want to see a true example of pilot solidarity......don't turn your eyes towards Midwest Express!!!

UAL COBRA

Last month, the UAL MEC passed the resolution. It is now up for vote; if approved, the pay deduction will start 1 Mar 02

1% of Wages = full COBRA for 800+ UAL pilots furloughed

It's expected to pass. I pray.

Cobra payments

Mesaba pilots also voted to cover cobra payments for our furloughed pilots. The vote was not unanimous as I'm sure it wasn't anywhere else that this issue was put up for a vote. There will always be those who don't consider helping furloughed pilots to be more important than being self-serving. As far as I'm concerned(btw, I'm not furloughed) I consider all of our pilots who have received a seniority number to be an XJ pilot and deserving of help from those of us fortunate enough to have avoided furloughs this time around. This last comment would be directed at those who seem to think that the pilots on the bottom or near the bottom of the list haven't "paid their dues" and are somehow less deserving.

Latest resources

Back