• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chuck Yogourt said:
Another Airtran flamer.
This coming from the biggest flamer on these boards

My opinion is my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.
You seem to have an opinion on everything that isn't midwest oriented. Remember chuck, opinions are like a'holes, everybody got one, only yours stinks worse!

As for flaming your company, it seems to me you guys have the chip on your shoulder. Kinda like the old adage, "Should I tell my mother I am a pilot for Airtran? She thinks I am a piano player in a, well, you get the picture.

Hey chuckie, how much money did midwest lose in the last year??? enquiring minds and all that??
With losses like the one below, your airline is next.
Better update the resume chuckie!!!! Before you know it, you'll be swinging gear for a kid half your age...

Midwest Air Group Reports Third Quarter Results
Thursday October 27, 8:30 am ET Summary: Third Quarter 2005 vs. Third Quarter 2004 -- Operating revenue increased 32.1% to $136.6 million -- Scheduled service revenue passenger miles increased 46.6% to 896.2 million on a 20.8% increase in capacity -- Operating loss of $27.1 million (includes $15.6 million in impairment charges related to the planned retirement of two MD-81 aircraft) vs. $13.0 million -- Net loss of $26.9 million (includes $15.6 million in impairment charges) vs. $13.4 million -- A per-share loss of $1.54 (includes $0.89 in impairment charges) vs. loss of $0.77 -- Higher fuel prices negatively impacted operating results by $13.4 million, or $0.77 per share

I work for neither Airtran or Midwest. However I have flown on both in the last year. I have found Midwest to be one of the best operations in the United States. Friendly at check-in, nice flight attendants, friendly service, and clean airplanes. Plus, who doesn't like a couple chocolate chip cookies with their coffee while reading their newspaper riding in their firstclassCoach seat. When I purchase a ticket for myself or family, Midwest is the first airline I will search. I cannot say the same for Airtran. On paper Midwest did not do well last Q, but if you were lucky enough to have their stock for the last few months, you would have realized a 50% gain. Keep on doin' what your doin' Midwest and others might follow your lead.

PS. 737pylt, is this one of those pot and kettle or glass house things - a delta pilot pointing out another airline losing money? Delta probably looses that amount of money in a week.

Last edited:
Remington said:
I work for neither Airtran or Midwest. However I have flown on both in the last year. I have found Midwest to be one of the best operations in the United States. Friendly at check-in, nice flight attendants, friendly service, and clean airplanes. Plus, who doesn't like a couple chocolate chip cookies with their coffee while reading their newspaper riding in their firstclassCoach seat. When I purchase a ticket for myself or family, Midwest is the first airline I will search. I cannot say the same for Airtran. On paper Midwest did not do well last Q, but if you were lucky enough to have their stock for the last few months, you would have realized a 50% gain. Keep on doin' what your doin' Midwest and others might follow your lead.

PS. 737pylt, is this one of those pot and kettle or glass house things - a delta pilot pointing out another airline losing money? Delta probably looses that amount of money in a week.

Remington: Thanks for the compliments. The Delta boys are pissed because I have come out and said that they do not have the Gonads to strike which they are beating their chest. They act like they are the only pilots ever to have to endure such threats from management and the rest of us should just be humble and greatfull for their fight. I wish no Ill Will towards them but they will cave in the end. They are all talk. If they prove me wrong, I will apologize. As far as their losses are concerned, they lose more in a day than we do in a quarter. Our bleeding has slowed to a trickle and the company will be profitable in 2006. It's right on the edge now.

As for the Airtran people flaming Midwest, you might want to check your company books. Last I read, you are over $270 million in debt.

Remington said:

I don't normally get involved in this bantering but... I HAVE worked for both companies. I don't disagree with Remington's observations about customer service, but you better realize that flying in the back of both airplanes is far different than working for the company. The orginal poster was asking about Midwest. If they make it (who knows) you'll be working under some of most worker unfriendly management in the industry. Don't confuse the service you get on the airplane with how it'll be working there.
In short:
Does Midwest have a great product?
Yes

Are you familiar with the "Kimberly Clark" style of management?
If not, you might want to research that because Midwest is run similarly.

Would I leave (your airline here) to come to Midwest?
Do you live in MKE? If not then no I wouldn't.

Comparing AirTran's management vs. Midwest management?
Look at the last five yearly statements and come up with your own opinion.

If the original poster would like to know more, PM me and I'll try to help.

-TC

Thunderchief said:
I don't normally get involved in this bantering but... I HAVE worked for both companies. I don't disagree with Remington's observations about customer service, but you better realize that flying in the back of both airplanes is far different than working for the company. The orginal poster was asking about Midwest. If they make it (who knows) you'll be working under some of most worker unfriendly management in the industry. Don't confuse the service you get on the airplane with how it'll be working there.
In short:
Does Midwest have a great product?
Yes

Are you familiar with the "Kimberly Clark" style of management?
If not, you might want to research that because Midwest is run similarly.

Would I leave (your airline here) to come to Midwest?
Do you live in MKE? If not then no I wouldn't.

Comparing AirTran's management vs. Midwest management?
Look at the last five yearly statements and come up with your own opinion.

If the original poster would like to know more, PM me and I'll try to help.

-TC

That's funny. We have a couple of ex-Airtran people with us who feel totally opposit of you. I guess we could debate that from here on out. All I know is Midwest is 22 years old and is not in chapter 11, does not have over a 1/4 of billion in debt. It is small, everyone knows everyone and for the most part, likes their fellow coworkers. I know you can't say that about your company.

I hear at the first of the year it will open up again. When it does, I will post it or better yet, PM me now and then I will try and let you know.

Chuck Yogourt said:
As for the Airtran people flaming Midwest, you might want to check your company books. Last I read, you are over $270 million in debt.

Chuckie doesn't even understand the most basic, fundamental financial concepts? I am starting to smell a rat, and I think it crawled up Chuckie's shorts and died.

Chuckie, we have over $500 million in debt. . . . we also have over $905 milion in assets.

Which leaves us with over $400 million in cash, just sitting around, waiting to buy up assets . . . . .

Now, whose assets, you ask? Well, let's just say that a certain airline up in cheese country went from $122 million in cash two years ago to only $66 million now, and continues to lose money . .

Even Chuckie should be able to see where this is going, which explains why he's such a cranky POS . . . . .

Last edited:
Remington said:
I have found Midwest to be one of the best operations in the United States. Friendly at check-in, nice flight attendants, friendly service, and clean airplanes. Plus, who doesn't like a couple chocolate chip cookies with their coffee while reading their newspaper riding in their firstclassCoach seat.

This is a true statement and why I've relayed these, and other, concepts obtained while JSing on Midex to various departments within our own company. Thank you Midwest Express, and also to the loving stewardess' who hide the braunshweiger in the greatest Wisconsin tradition.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back