• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mid Air Collision here in FL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eliminate midairs? It isn't possible in the current climate of technology, and it wil be a long time before we make any real inroads.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't do everything that we can to make all of OUR flights safe. A dozen of us here on this board could avoid a midair, and it would do little to alter the overall statistics of this type of accident. That said, WE would be here to be able to tell the tale, which is its own reward.

Is is a bad thing to use the radio as a tool? No. But it is only one tool that we have available. Certainly if we pay attention on the proper frequency, and we broadcast our intentions and position on the CTAF, we have helped others to have an idea of where we are and what we are doing. It isn't as precise as TCAS, but it helps. Additionally, a proper scan will increase your survival of any flight. As avbug said, if you are counting on others to make you safe by making a single radio call, you are living in a fool's paradise.

Just as most accidents consist of a chain of events punctuated by poor decisions, a safe flight consists of a knowlegable pilot who follows the time proven steps of proper preparation and executes his duties in a manner of continual vigilance. While you may not be able to eliminate the possibility of an accident (the leading cause of death is being alive) you can reduce the possibility to a manageable and acceptable level.

Resistance in not futile.

**I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the leading cause of death would actually be failure to continue being alive, rather than actually being alive. If I can remember when I get there, I'll find a way to post, and let you know...**:rolleyes:

Touche.

To borrow from another thread, being alive would be a preceeding condition...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back