• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Michael Moore Comments on Regional Pay at Labor Rally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capitalism is a double-edged sword. Supply and demand. I don't like extortionist practices either, but I prefer it to the alternative of no freedom and government planned roles in society. Michael Moore would beg to differ, but he's another planet of his own.

So long as there are Han Solo/Maverick wannabees out there with more access to money than sense, we will be fighting over the jobs by whoring ourselves out. The problem is the supply overwhelming the demand.

So long as there are Han Solo/Maverick wannabees out there with more access to money than sense, we will be fighting over the jobs by whoring ourselves out. The problem is the supply overwhelming the demand.

So is the problem that up and coming pilots are willing to endure low pay and poor QOL to be airline pilots or that there is a disconnect between their perception of the industry and reality? Seems to me like the airlines have done a wonderful job of fooling pilots just entering the field. $23/hour!?! That's AWESOME! 3-day weekends every week?!!? YES! Travel Benefits?!! Where do I sign up!

Until now. The word is out. Let's see what they do now.

So is the problem that up and coming pilots are willing to endure low pay and poor QOL to be airline pilots or that there is a disconnect between their perception of the industry and reality? Seems to me like the airlines have done a wonderful job of fooling pilots just entering the field. $23/hour!?! That's AWESOME! 3-day weekends every week?!!? YES! Travel Benefits?!! Where do I sign up!

Until now. The word is out. Let's see what they do now.

Probably a little of both. The idea of swimming in it is easier to swallow than actually doing it. Keep in mind, $23/hour looks awesome to someone that just came from a $7/hr minimum wage. It's all relative.

Probably a little of both. The idea of swimming in it is easier to swallow than actually doing it. Keep in mind, $23/hour looks awesome to someone that just came from a $7/hr minimum wage. It's all relative.

And we all know that the $23/hour is just as truthfull as them saying we get paid $23,000/hour.

Management: "We pay our pilots $23,000/hour".
Pilot: "Yes but i only get paid for 1 hour/year".
Management: "See no matter what we pay you, you will still complain"

And you're only guaranteed 18.75 hours of pay/week + "lunch money".

All I can say to this is spread the word. Debunk the myths. Use mainstream outlets: Facebook, newspaper, comments sections of online articles...Whatever. Management is pandering to the lazy. Well, let's tell the lazy how tough and thankless it really is.

Unfortunately in management's eyes (as well as the shareholders') you have to add the pilot salaries together. To them, the FO is an apprentice, training to become a captain in an aircraft that really only needs 1 pilot to fly.

So you take your average Capt salary at a regional of around 65000 add the 20000 and you have an $85000/yr pilot. To them, that's the market. Fair? Maybe not. But there is a supply of pilots that have to start their airline careers somewhere. As the CEO your one and only concern is to make money for the shareholders or you're out. So why would a CEO pay more when he has plenty who will accept the current pay?

Latest resources

Back