• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

geojet707

Plenty Long & Mighty Dry
Anyone know if Miami Air is doing any hiring recently?? Thanks

The last class started in Sep. Just in the time since then, we've lost over a half dozen guys. Rumors are that there will be another round of hiring soon, but nothing official.

Actually, it looks like Miami Air has become the de facto training grounds for JB and Atlas... Have a pulse? Get a B737 type, get some international experience and get a job with a National or a Major. Of course if you leave in less than 3 years you'll owe them the balance of the training contract but that might be well worth the investment.

Actually, it looks like Miami Air has become the de facto training grounds for JB and Atlas... Have a pulse? Get a B737 type, get some international experience and get a job with a National or a Major. Of course if you leave in less than 3 years you'll owe them the balance of the training contract but that might be well worth the investment.

Any word on any upcoming hiring/interviews? I was told a class just went thru since the beginning of the year? Also, what's the QOL like? Still overseas work during summer, etc?. Thanks again for the help.

Any word on any upcoming hiring/interviews?

No word. They hired 22 in 2013, but also lost 13 total. Expectations are that they'll have to hire, but mgmt keeps that close to the vest until just before they advertise.

I was told a class just went thru since the beginning of the year?

As stated in the post above, the last class started in Sep 2013. There were 6 classes in 2013. No class has started this year (2014.)

Also, what's the QOL like?

Plan to live in South Florida. There are only about 6 or so of the 70'ish pilots that commute from anywhere beyond south / central / southwest FL. 12 days free of duty per month, with many lines having 10 of those in a single block. No trip longer than 7 days unless you volunteer for it. Frequent days off in MIA between trips along with reserve at home equal extra days with family - unless you commute. As for commuting, you can't think of it in the traditional airline sense, i.e. jumpseating home for a couple days between trips. You cannot do that here. You are always on at least 11 hour call out between trips, unless you're on one of your 12 days free of duty. So jumpseating home for a day or two is out of the question. They will emphasis this at the interview. Pay is low. Don't expect to exceed guarantee much, if ever.

Still overseas work during summer, etc?

No. Well, if you're referring to the previous "deployments" to Europe or Alaska, no, neither in '13 nor in '14.

Thanks very much for the info and update. If you do hear any rumors of hiring can you PM me and let me know? Thanks again for all your help.

One other thing regarding QOL that I should mention and that will be emphasized at the interview briefing, also. When you bid, you are really bidding for the days off (days free of duty) that you want. Although the lines will show known flying, Scheduling will take those trips away from you and reflow everyone at the drop of a hat. I don't think I've flown a whole month's line as bid and awarded yet. We do not have any visibility on open-time trips, and we cannot "drop" trips without calling in sick. So when you get awarded that line with the 3 days off in Hawaii, don't bother making plans and waxing your surf board, cause by the time it rolls around, you'll actually spend those days doing Havana turns instead.

Latest resources

Back