• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MIA lifestyle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you don't like it, can't afford it, or expect it to suck even before you've been here -- don't come here. We have enough people here already. We don't need any more whining Jimmy Buffet wannabes, snowbirds, illegals, northeasterners, or closed-minded 'experts'.

Fugawe

What! No body even mentioned Ft. Pierce. FPR must has to be the arm pit of FL! 9 drive-bys in the first 3 months. Not bad for a city of 100,000. Some were in the day time. The most section 8 apartments on the tresure coast. Scary city at anytime.

I gotta agree with most on here. Miami is not part of the US anymore. I can hear more english in Hong Kong than you do in MIA.

They are literally scraping corpses off the streets on a daily basis, last summer during the MJ trial there was a triple murder on the streets, homeys laying dead everywhere and the news cut away to show MJ being driven to the court house........ALL 40 minutes of the drive. Dead kids on the street so much that it isn't even news anymore. If you have school age kids, I would stay far away, unless you be one o those rich folk wif the pricate skool monies!!! But you said you were a pilot so probably not!

"In todays news, massive carnage on the streets, what? oh wait, MJ in a CAR driving LIVE!!!!!"

Fugawe said:
If you don't like it, can't afford it, or expect it to suck even before you've been here -- don't come here. We have enough people here already. We don't need any more whining Jimmy Buffet wannabes, snowbirds, illegals, northeasterners, or closed-minded 'experts'.

Fugawe

That leaves, what, three people?

Heyas,

As a native South Floridian, my $0.02 is that the others are right on. The whole area from MIA to PBI really has run into the ground.

When I was growing up, there was kind still some old school Florida thing going on, sort of the charming part of red-neck without all the inbreeding.

These days, Miami has become nothing short of a free-fire zone.

The local schools suck A$$. If you move down here, plan on paying for private school for the kids.

The local government is incompetent AND corrupt. I know we tend to say that about everywhere, but this is the only place I've seen that gives New Orleans a run for it's money.

Speaking of Louisiana, I thought they had the market on POS beaters on the road. Nope, there are more rolling sh!t boxes on the roads down here than you can believe, and all driving is done at absolute top speed when there isn't gridlock. If you are so unfortunate to get in an accident, chances are pretty good that the other driver has neither a license or insurance. Speaking of which, plan on paying twice the national average for insurance.

Rampant over-development has sucked up what little affordable housing there was. Every little postage stamp property is blossoming either a highrise or a two/three story duplex that runs right up to the property line. Forget affordable housing, let alone anything on/near the water. Lots on a stinky backwater of the New River start at 1 million +. If you are of moderate means, forget having a boat/airplane.

Retarded property tax laws result in you being locked into your house. You can't even downsize without paying a LOT more in taxes.

Who's moving down here? Obnoxious nouveau riche northerners trying to act Mafia, driving around in their leased SL500s. Their wives/girlfriends have a fashion sense that would make Liberace wince and probably have their overweight a$$ crack hanging out.

If, by some remote possibility, you have money left over to eat out, plan on eating at 4:30 with the old timers, otherwise it's crowd city.

Every "local" I know has cashed out of their real estate and headed north to Ocala, Okeechobee, Gainsville, Tallahassee or points north. The only good part is if you had a nice 3-4 bedroom home in SoFL, chances are you have enough equity to buy into a nice 2-3 acre airstrip home and had $$ left over for an airplane.

Nu

Fugawe said:

Fugawe

You forgot the Scarface wannabes. In my 2 months there right after Wilma, I must have seen that movie play a couple dozen times on the TV.

Nobody should come to south Florida. It really sucks and the traffic is horrible. We have been here over 15 years and the traffic is getting worse. Please stay up in that cold part. Try Bermuda or the Carribean. Just trying to keep our traffic down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugawe

Fugawe

Groundpounder said:
That leaves, what, three people?

Ha, that's about right -- in the Miami area maybe (Keys too). That's why I don't live in the MIA area, or near it.

After our military time and we came back to FL, the wife and I knew we didn't want our kids growing up in the east coast environment of FL (MIA area). Drew a 120 mi ring around MIA and found normal life out near the edges of the ring.

Easy drive to work once/twice a week for trips, most speak english, schools are OK, crime is not a biggee. It is changing along with the rest of So FL, but forget the MIA area -- it's just a big, dirty, South American city. Nice to be able to leave it after work.

I travel deep south Am mostly -- I'd take Buenos Aires, Santiago, and maybe Sao Paulo over Miami anyday. Caracas and maybe some of the armpit Caribbean big cities are worse than Miami, but not much worse.

Fugawe

Twisted Mind said:
What! No body even mentioned Ft. Pierce. FPR must has to be the arm pit of FL! 9 drive-bys in the first 3 months. Not bad for a city of 100,000. Some were in the day time. The most section 8 apartments on the tresure coast. Scary city at anytime.

Ft. Pierce is the Treasure Coast and getting pretty far away from MIA, but I have heard of some bad stuff up there. A lot of the crime is moving north.

Miami is just like any other big city, especially los angeles. Lots of selfish people, lots of poor people, and lots of traffic.

Latest resources

Back