Metroliner

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotwings402

Anybody ever flown a Metroliner the 18 pax one. Not sure of the type I think its a III. What did you think of it? What does it rotate at? What does it land at? Is it a hard turboprop to fly?

Thanks

Typical layout is 19 seat. The normal commuter version was both the Metro III or the Metro 23.

According to the old performace charts I have. At 16,500 the Vr was 120kts and approach at 15,675 was about 140kts. We alwasy flew it fast on approach anyway.

The metro can be a handful to fly. Sensitive in the pitch and heavy in the roll and no autopilot. (Interesting note: the 727-200 flys just like the Metro at 250 kts with all the hydrualics turned off.)I still say this a/c should not be single-pilot certified. As long as it is VFR its no problem but when you are in the soup doing a missed approach it can be a real bitch. I have about 2000 hrs in the Metro series and about 200 of that is single pilot.

The Metro is a great a/c for what is was built to do. Just unconfortable for both pax and crew.

Thedude said:
Sensitive in the pitch and heavy in the roll and no autopilot.

Just like a Citabria!

I wish I could've flown the Metro, but had to make do with the 1900 instead; slower, burns more gas and is pretty homely, but sure did fly nice. Ahh, brings back the good old days of racing Skywest Metros from Yuma or Flagstaff into Phoenix... the C models needed a head start, but the D could beat the Metro, just barely, and don't look at the fuel flows. And d@mn are those Ds ugly!

I always thought the 1900-D looked like a retarted dolphin. Ya know the big hump and all.
We used to race the 1900 from Roswell to Dallas. And we could take off behind the 1900 and still beat 'em....barely. Something about know where your engine gave the best performance. (mid to high teens for T'props).

Latest resources

Back