Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tired_pilot

September 23, 2006
AIR ONE EXPRESS (Metroliner III First Officer)
address.aspx

Tel: no calls
faxnumber.aspx

Email: [FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]Click here to Apply [/FONT]
Web Site: none

This is on climbto350.com today. I couldnt cut and paste the whole ad, just the header. Basically its an UNPAID, FO job on the Metro. The part that steamed me was for who ever takes it theres a 12 month training contract on top of that, if you quit you OWE THEM $3,500.
I really have no hope for our profession as long as people are willing to sell themselves out like this. Regional pay for most FO's is below the federal min wage as it is, taking into account duty time and pay.

The other thing that steams me is the people on here who continue to stick up for BUSH, I voted for him in 2000 and feel very betrayed. Bush is no friend of the labor or the middle class. Im not saying the democrats are, but its hard to see things for the middle class worse then they are now.

ah ya its all Bush's fault

I'm not a fan of Bush, but to blame him for the sheetbirds who would hoe themselves out to various non paid jobs is rediculous.
The industry is dead, there is no future unless you are sitting at mainline right now, the rest are chasing something that evaporated years ago.

The actual post says that the pilot pays the $3.5k and gets reimbursed upon completion of one year or 800 hrs. Pretty much the same deal but who has $3500 to drop so that you can work at a job where you don't get paid. Some @sshole must be taking these jobs because I see them advertised everyday.

September 23, 2006
Regional pay for most FO's is below the federal min wage as it is, taking into account duty time and pay.

You know, that's not quite right. I'm not saying that FOs do well, but even the worst off first year guys do a little better than minimum wage. It's $5.15/hour and if you can hold a full time job, you're working around 175 hours a month or $901/month gross.

About the worst companies out there pay first year FOs $15/hour and a 75 hour guarantee or $1125/month. As for duty time, even Willy would be hard pressed to write a 75 hour line with 200 hours, but, if I did, this FO would still be grossing $5.63 per duty hour.

If you do the math most FOs are earning $10-15 per duty hour. That stinks, esp. when you have a lot invested in getting to that point, but min wage really sucks. That FO has a brass ring, 777 captain job he is reaching for, but for most folks min wage is an endless grind.

wages

When I was a Dash 8 F/0 at Mesa at 18 an hour, I did plenty 12+ hour days for 4 hours flight pay, Im sure things havent changed that much. Short legs with long sits= low pay.

Granted your right most airlines will pay more then min wage but some are pretty close to it, especially the bottom feeders.

I love how losers, who lack the tenacity and patience to make it in this BS industry, turn to a handy scapegoat in their time of need. Blaming Bush for the sorry state of this industry is just as mindless as blaming him for Hurricane Katrina.

Latest resources

Back