Mesa's GO airline in Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired said:
Most of the f/a's and pilots going to "Go" can use their Mesa bennies to either fly in back for free (USAirways) or pretty darn cheap as a non-rev ($50 bucks on Hawaiian, only $25 bucks on ATA)

How can you still have bennies on US Airways if you are flying for 'Go'. I am sure US Airways will catch wind of this and those bennies will be CX'ed.

When has any regional (or any other airline) paid for a move for a voluntary base change?

Name one!

Hi mr. company. I'd like to be based in miami now. Please ship my car and give me positive space tickets. Oh wait make that san diego instead. Oh wait.

I'm sure there are a few flight instructors, sightseeing pilots, low pay (starting position) pilots ion the islands that would love to get some jet time with Mesa. It's not easy to get jet time when you live, were raised, on an island. Is Mesa having a problem getting pilots to bid Hawaii? If I was in my early 20's and single, I would consider living in a crash pad, surfing, parting, and flying jets in one of the most beautiful states.

Soverytired said:
As this was a voluntary displacement for those going to Hawaii, the company is not responsible for either their move or their travel. They're getting released from duty about a week before they have to actually show up for their unofficial "move days".

Yes, the j/s use is legal, and violates no ALPA held tenets. Guys use the j/s all the time to get home. Hawaii for these people is now home. Duh. But until we get CASS, it's probably not worth the bother.

Most of the f/a's and pilots going to "Go" can use their Mesa bennies to either fly in back for free (USAirways) or pretty darn cheap as a non-rev ($50 bucks on Hawaiian, only $25 bucks on ATA); this isn't going to pose much of a problem.

As to the cost of living . . . Uh, we're all adults here, right? These people are responsible for their own choices for where they want to live and work . . . if they think they can make it living on peanuts, that's their business. Most of the ones I've spoken to have either lived in Hawaii before or have friends/family there that will help them out.

Personally, I think it makes no sense economically (unless you have means other than your airline job) for Aloha, Hawaiian, or Mesa pilots to live there. But you only live once, and there's more to life than a healthy bank account. (so I'm told, but don't believe).

If you knew what you were talking about you would have never have posted this comment. As an employee, I can see what this email is saying. A paid company move has nothing to do with a jumpseat. It simply means this move is voluntary and thus you're responsible for your own moving expenses (ie. moving vans/shipping etc). The company is required to travel you from your current domicile to your assigned base.

I must admit that you really out did yourself on this one. You are to be commended for your sensationalizing. Have you considered a career as a correspondent for a national news network? I am sure they could use someone with your skills. I think you'd be wise to learn more about a topic before posting it on the net. Just my .02

bustinmins said:
If you knew what you were talking about you would have never have posted this comment. As an employee, I can see what this email is saying. A paid company move has nothing to do with a jumpseat. It simply means this move is voluntary and thus you're responsible for your own moving expenses (ie. moving vans/shipping etc). The company is required to travel you from your current domicile to your assigned base.

No need to be rude, dude. We are all here to learn. Are you sure you know what YOU'RE talking about?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I've been doing this gig for about 10 years, and I have never, never heard of a company issuing postive/must-ride travel to an employee who is voluntarily switching domiciles, and that's a fact.

Believe me, if you'd ever flown the 1900 at Mesa or Air Midwest, with near bi-monthly domicile changes, you'd know this.

If you HAVE done this, then we've certainly had a different experience at Mesa.

Last edited:
I Don't Care If Go "go's" Or Not

WSurf said:
How can you still have bennies on US Airways if you are flying for 'Go'. I am sure US Airways will catch wind of this and those bennies will be CX'ed.

You're correct, of course. And although I would never advocate pillferage, the simple fact is that USAir is a huge bureaucracy, and I doubt very much they update their code-share partner's travel benefits list on a daily basis. Nuff said.

A perfectly viable honest alternative exists . . . $25 bucks for non-rev travel on ATA. $50 bucks for non-rev travel on Hawaiian. These bennies are available to all Mesa employees. Or just buy a regular ticket, for that matter (since these Hawaii types MUST be loaded, or they wouldn't be going in the first place).

I DON'T CARE IF GO "GO'S" OR NOT!!! But the tone of this thread seems to be that "If we can just keep the pilots/fa's from getting to the islands we can kill it." I suggest you bank on your exemplary customer service and far, far superior product . . . and you most certainaly WILL "CRUSH" GO.

The real question is if you're going to be a-holes to the Go employee's as you do it, or if you're going to do it with class and style.

Last edited:
islandhopper said:
Are you sure about that? How much money do you have that you would feel comfortable waging on this one?

Educate me please.

I'm curious as to why you feel this is illegal, or counter to any j/s agreements.

The facts are these:

1 week prior to Go service start-up, and before the "mandatory training event", pilots and f/a's new domicile will be changed to Hawaii.

These are their "move days".

This is a voluntary move, not a displacement. Ergo, in point of fact, their domicile will be Hawaii before they even get there.

Last edited:
Soverytired said:
No need to be rude, dude. We are all here to learn. Are you sure you know what YOU'RE talking about?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I've been doing this gig for about 10 years, and I have never, never heard of a company issuing postive/must-ride travel to an employee who is voluntarily switching domiciles, and that's a fact.

Believe me, if you'd ever flown the 1900 at Mesa or Air Midwest, with near bi-monthly domicile changes, you'd know this.

I wasn't trying to be rude, dude. :) I agree, we are all here to learn. However, with all of the Mesa bashing, I sometimes take it personally. Usually, I just grade the harrassment as I am pretty used to it by now.

In reference to your discussion, I do know what I am talking about as I have moved around quite a bit with Mesa. I have accepted seven bases in ten years. I would agree with you. Voluntary moves to established bases are usually the crew's responsibility. I guess it depends on of the company considers the GO! operation "Established" or not. If you are establishing a new base, I think travel is on the company and not the employee. If I was in error, I certainly apologize. However, if I understand the other gentleman, I believe he was talking about was crew moving on the jumpseat. I have never had Mesa ask me to take a jumpseat in lieu of a crew movement. I have taken the jump to allow revenue to get in the back but I have never bumped a commuting pilot to do so.

Soverytired said:
Educate me please.

I'm curious as to why you feel this is illegal, or counter to any j/s agreements.

The facts are these:

1 week prior to Go service start-up, and before the "mandatory training event", pilots and f/a's new domicile will be changed to Hawaii.

These are their "move days".

This is a voluntary move, not a displacement. Ergo, in point of fact, their domicile will be Hawaii before they even get there.
Before I explain how much money do you want to bet me? C'mon throw down some denero. I live in Hawaii and by your reasoning must therefore be loaded. You know I am good for it. How much money do you have? Let's bet and see who is wrong.

Hey now, I AM a Mesa pilot. . . .with all the riches that entails . . .

islandhopper said:
Before I explain how much money do you want to bet me? C'mon throw down some denero. I live in Hawaii and by your reasoning must therefore be loaded. You know I am good for it. How much money do you have? Let's bet and see who is wrong.

All the lint in my front pockets and 3 hairs from my unshaven ball-sack?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back