Mesa's a mess

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

Despite Mesa making a profit on Delta paying them not to fly and the sale of their airplanes, Mesa managed to lose 7.4 on 18 million in revenues in one quarter on 6 CRJ200's operating in Hawaii.

Mesa's management has a "zero tolerance policy that can result in dismissal" when their employees leave a door open for the TSA to find, but is tolerant of the fact they have no way to pay their debt obligations due before the First Qtr. of 09.

Hey, they say Hawaii's looking up. At $4.12 a gallon, they had better hope the only alternative to their CRJ200 is a pump boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

Only two analysts had questions, I'm guessing the other had to take an important call about ordering Blimpie's for lunch, or put his phone on mute to muffle the laughter in response to Ornstien's tapdance.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/91689-mesa-air-group-inc-f3q08-qtr-end-06-30-08-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=1

Just so I can be the first on this thread, Mesa sucks!

I think the other significant challenge that we face, I think most of you know particularly in the finance community, because we have a large amount of debt coming due in early part of next year and we continue to look at way to solve that rather complex issue. There are number of things that we done, the last time we had some of the bonds come due, we were able to roll them for a short period of time.
Clearly, the company does not have the money to pay those bonds, so we will have to be creative, but again we thing that it everyone’s interest income to a reasonable solution,

Last edited:
Despite Mesa making a profit on Delta paying them not to fly and the sale of their airplanes, Mesa managed to lose 7.4 million in one quarter on 6 CRJ200's operating in Hawaii.

Mesa's management has a "zero tolerance policy that can result in dismissal" when their employees leave a door open for the TSA to find, but is tolerant of the fact they have no way to pay their debt obligations due before the First Qtr. of 09.

Hey, they say Hawaii's looking up. At $4.12 a gallon, they had better hope the only alternative to their CRJ200 is a pump boat.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/91689-mesa-air-group-inc-f3q08-qtr-end-06-30-08-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=1

You Go Fins!

Trojan

JOs goal from the get go was to fly at rock bottom (money losing fares) on just 6 CRJs, and take a hit which would be made up for by the mainland flying/profits. He wanted to drive Hawaiian or Aloha out of business, and he succeeded in forcing Aloha out of business.

These 6 CRJs losing money in Hawaii should be no surprise.

JOs goal from the get go was to fly at rock bottom (money losing fares) on just 6 CRJs, and take a hit which would be made up for by the mainland flying/profits. He wanted to drive Hawaiian or Aloha out of business, and he succeeded in forcing Aloha out of business.
He He He, Johnny corned the market on 50 seat inter-island service with island gas costing $4.12 a gallon. Good for him, now he is pulling down service.

.... and China. They couldn't fill an RJ before the Olympics, seems the Communists are not really savy with distribution channels and free markets, who'd have thunk?

Music to go with your reading of the quarterly report:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0I44Md4DY

Last edited:
Despite Mesa making a profit on Delta paying them not to fly and the sale of their airplanes, Mesa managed to lose 7.4 on 18 million in revenues in one quarter on 6 CRJ200's operating in Hawaii.

Hey, they say Hawaii's looking up. At $4.12 a gallon, they had better hope the only alternative to their CRJ200 is a pump boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

Only two analysts had questions, I'm guessing the other had to take an important call about ordering Blimpie's for lunch, or put his phone on mute to muffle the laughter in response to Ornstien's tapdance.

Is it proper form for the thread starter to utter the required "MESA SUCKS!"?

Just to be safe:

MESA_SUCKS!

The silver lining in all this is that Mesa pilots have finally found some intestinal fortitude and are fighting for a decent contract.

This is no small accomplishment; they are no doubt under huge pressure to make concessions, yet they just had their MEC reject their most recent TA.

Kudos to the Mesa pilots. It's probably an empty gesture at this point, because BK is surely coming. Nevertheless, many former Mesa pilots are proud to see whats going on there.

Soverytired,

You are right. They got one list with Freedom and avoided a GoJets debacle. I've never had a problem with their pilots, but Johnny's another story.

Wonder what is going to happen with the CRJ900's?

Kudos to the Mesa pilots. It's probably an empty gesture at this point, because BK is surely coming. Nevertheless, many former Mesa pilots are proud to see whats going on there.

Better than XJT. Our union wants us to take paycuts to help out the company and avoid BK. We definately have not begun to "take it back." Good for the Mesa guys standing strong.

The silver lining in all this is that Mesa pilots have finally found some intestinal fortitude and are fighting for a decent contract.

This is no small accomplishment; they are no doubt under huge pressure to make concessions, yet they just had their MEC reject their most recent TA.

They had it before. The only diff now is that JO does not have a Freedom to play against Mesa. Now the pilot group will finally have a good shot at making their contract at least a little more liveable. Good luck guys !

Latest resources

Back