• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba in KATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hardly anybody truly holds in ATL these days. You get slowed down or vectored all over Georgia so ATC doesn't get knocked on their performance numbers.

ATL the armpit of the south? Hardly! That glorious title hands down, MUST go to MEM.

As for XJ in ATL - the only thing we KNOW is that there will be some saab flying, there will be some 900 flying and as of now noo base. So this size of DTW and gloating BS is just that.... BS.

Once again... thanks for the welcome to DCI. Mesaba wasn't born yesterday and neither were the crews. It's not as if this new found XJ fortune is because we're all wet behind the ears and were spawned from Ch11 and this merger. I think we can handle the rigors of ATL and what games DL and DCI will play.

One thing that could be pointed out here is that, last time I checked: NWA management and Delta management are the same people, and have been for about a year or so. Once RA jumped back in, the difference between NWA and Delta ceased to exist.

We've lived through the NWA beatings, so now the only thing changing is the color of the whip.

Last edited:
I was Nonreving between MSP and MEM the other day. Saw JS and JR on the plane down to MEM. I followed them down to the fishbowl and saw where they were taking measurements for the new fishbowl that they are going to put in ATL. They wanted it to be just as cozy as MEM to remind guys of home. However, I hear it's going to be two square feet smaller.

Plus, they are trying to figure out how to get all the aircarts over to ATL. They want to make sure that everyone stays cool and comfortable.

See, these guys have made a turnaround. I also heard they are bringing back the Christmas party this year and handing out free turkeys again. I've got my baster all ready to go.

Mesaba wasn't born yesterday and neither were the crews. It's not as if this new found XJ fortune is because we're all wet behind the ears and were spawned from Ch11 and this merger. I think we can handle the rigors of ATL and what games DL and DCI will play.

Certainly not from the merger but I believe you may have missed the point on where the Mesaba growth has come from. It is a direct result for the reorganization and terms imposed on you guys by the bankruptcy. It is on that regard and that is how DAL plays the game. There are quite a few guys that are wet behind the ears. Not in the aspect of flying airplanes possibly but new to Mesaba therefore cheap. Don't kid yourself on the real rationale behind why those airplanes are going to Mesaba.

The major handicaps you guys will face will be the snap back and the fact that Delta owns the company now. Because there is a supposed contract the fly the planes for a certain period of time means nothing. Will Delta sue itself when they decide to give the flying to someone else who is doing for $10 per metric hour less? Unlikely. More likely chance they have awarded within the wholely owned section because they have much more leverage to move those planes later if they choose too. This isn't the case when it comes from outside.

Thanks for the lesson on contracts, Tarzan. We signed a new 10 year contract with NWA for Avro service just a few months before every single Avro was gone.

4300 feet, huh? I think the shortest strip we'd take the Saab into was Benton Harlem, but that was 5100 of icy goodness.

What's the shortest runway Saab destination right now?

I forget which city has it but I took off the short 4300ft or so runway in either YKF or YXU last year.

Quit your gloating. You're new to the DCI thing. One thing you need to understand about DAL is that they will change their minds quite a few more times before anything happens. You guys won't be getting as much in ATL as you've been lead to believe.
No one is gloating, just stating the facts. My statements are based on "fairly credible" information. I'll say it again: Delta Airlines Inc. wants Mesaba's new base in ATL to be a large as the DTW base as soon as possible. What is so hard to understand about that? Delta's CEO has a long history with Mesaba and respects what our company will now bring to the table; a safe, economical and reliable regional carrier for the new Delta. It's as simple as that.

No one is gloating, just stating the facts. My statements are based on "fairly credible" information. I'll say it again: Delta Airlines Inc. wants Mesaba's new base in ATL to be a large as the DTW base as soon as possible. What is so hard to understand about that? Delta's CEO has a long history with Mesaba and respects what our company will now bring to the table; a safe, economical and reliable regional carrier for the new Delta. It's as simple as that.

And Delta's DCI Contract requires ASA to do 80% of the Connection flying out of Atlanta. If ASA is a great example of how Delta runs wholly owneds, then Mesaba will learn. Don't get me wrong here, welcome to the ATL. Delta will siphon any and all money that Mesaba makes, and will give you just enough to survive and operate. Just ask the Comair guys how it is to be owned by Delta. Maybe if you're really lucky, Delta will send some of their Managers over to make the whole process complete. Need I give you a resume of how Skip Barnette (ASA), Brian Lebrecque(ASA), John Selveggio (Comair), and anybody else who ran these Companies fared?

Trojan

Last edited:
Thanks you Tarzan and the rest of the DCI boyz for reminding me and many XJ pilots exactly what contract 2001-2004 and Ch11 was all about. It must have escaped our minds, how fun those years were.

Don't lecture any Mesaba pilot on how we got where we are today. We know very well, since we are carrying those sacrifices on our backs, everyday. So, who the heck are you to educate us as to the reasonings behind the current state of affairs at XJ?

Where were the rest of the regional pilots when Mesaba shrank, sacrificed and saw its darkest days? Oh, that's right... growing, prospering, riding the wave and furthering their careers. Now that it's our turn, the rest of our "brothers" throw rocks, call us sell outs, treat us like job stealers, undercutters and lecture US on how the industry works? That's rich.

Latest resources

Back