• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"rumors" yes... fact = no (at lesat not yet) No reduction notices out either. Too early to tell at this point. We are still interviewing and hiring into the CRJ. Crew planning claims they haven't heard anything but if they knew something they wouldn't say anything to me over the phone until some offical notice is out.

What is funny if they do furlough, they would have to furlough all the newly trained CRJ FO's before getting to anyone else.

Given the circumstances it would seem that furlough would be inevitable, but why are they continuing to call people as late as last Friday saying “You’re Hired, but we don’t know when your ground school will be?” Sounds kind of contradictory to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about a furlough. Remember that the whole reason for the growth of all the United and Delta regionals was to drop some of the expensive main line flying for "cheaper" regional jets. Either you will continue as always or grow.

jschroed said:
Given the circumstances it would seem that furlough would be inevitable,

I was thinking that same thing all weekend, but upon further review, it seems that all of the Avro flying is back on the nwa.com website after Jan and we still are receiving CRJ's.

Granted, they may try to get concessions from us in one form or another, but we (XJ and 9E) are not the fatty parts of this operation that Steenland and the boys are trying to trim. It'll be interesting here the next 6 months, but I honestly believe we should be OK without furloughs here at Mesaba. Lots of people might jump on me for saying that and they probably have a lot more years in than I do, but that's my gut feeling.

Welcome to Mesaba BTW. You'll find that many captains here are just as much fun to fly with as Benny S was.

Smoker

DoubleDown said:
I wouldn't worry too much about a furlough. Remember that the whole reason for the growth of all the United and Delta regionals was to drop some of the expensive main line flying for "cheaper" regional jets. Either you will continue as always or grow.

so you have pilots for 35 avros and x# sabs + x# crj pilots and you shed 9 avros in a month, how can you not furlough?

Anyone know how many crj guys got hired and are in training? I'm guessing 20? maybe? 9 ARJ = about 90 pilots minus the 20 new guys, then you wouldn't be safe for the first round unless you have 70 people below you. Then comes the next wave.

But of course, this is all speculation. I think we are all screwed. If you are above seniority number 110, then you should leave for another job you really should quicker the better, it's only going to get worse. For those of you below seniority number 110, do as you wish.

CubanSmoker

I like your quote on the bottom, but it should read 5 apu's. There aren't any engines on that thing! If it have 4 engines it would be able to accelerate at 29K above M.7. 1.7 hour flight and we were to climb to 30K and we received a discretionary descent to 24K, we never made it to 30K! Gotta Love MEM @ 100 degrees. Anyhow, I thought it was funny. Thing runs like a jet ski - full throttle or idle, only 2 settings. haha!

The funny thing is, that quote is from a frantic passenger/moron that came up to the cockpit asking how in the world an airplane like the Avro can fly. According to her (and she's a "Silver Elite" so she would know) the only way an airplane flies is to go fast and you have to have big wheels to get airborne. Small ones like we had would never be able to spin fast enough to get the airplane to fly.

Who knew?
The captain didn't even acknowledge the question, turned back to me, and asked for the acceptance checklist and I was laughing to hard to read it.

One thing to consider .Nwa wants to come out of CH 11 looking like Jet Blue. Having lots of different type A/C is not part of the plan in the long run.

Latest resources

Back