Mesaba Class and NWA Mechanics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sparky62

Should a guy leave a job with security for a August Mesaba class considering NWA mechanics may strike?

Better to wait or to go? Effect on Mesaba flying and chance for furlough?

I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor. I can't see it having a very big impact on XJ in the short term. In the long term, if NWA files for bankruptcy, expect us to be hit for concessions. I don't believe that we'll give up anything, but all negotiations make for increased stress.

Now is a pretty good time to get over to XJ. I wouldn't see this situation changing any positive expectations that you may have had.

You can also count on Junior Bush stepping in and extending the dealine another 60 days.... as he did 4 years ago.

Do you think all of this talk of NWA filing for CH. 11 is sabre rattling to use as leverage in talks with the AMFA and 9E pilots?

They just ordered 787s back in April. How hard up are they for money? What is the retirement schedule for the DC-9/DC-10s?

If NWA does file bankrupcy, what kind of concessions would XJ be looking at?

First off if NWA mechanics strike NWA then it means increased flying for us as they try to keep operating on a reduced schedule. So no worries there.

2nd Nwa talking about bankruptcy is real they are in the hole 14 billion I think with debt and upcoming pension payments. They have 2.1 billion cash on hand but when you owe 14...well you can do the math. Plus they are losing money fast.

3rd Bush will not step in because Bush always supports big business and never the working man. Nwa wants a resolution in 30 days the mechanics would love to keep stalling so they can keep there jobs. Therefore No Bush step in.

XJ concessions maybe asked for but our contract is far from extravagent and average therefore they will have a hard time trying to get us to give up anything and I suspect we will hold fast especially since we got the one and only PL.

So I think XJ would be a great start to your airline career.

GOOD LUCK

wmudriver said:
They just ordered 787s back in April. How hard up are they for money? What is the retirement schedule for the DC-9/DC-10s?

Can't tell ya anything about the DC-9's... But the -10's are looking like 3-4 years.

Yea
That's what I do if I'm the CEO of an almost bankrupt airline. While asking my employees for concessions or flat out eliminating their positions I paint a retiring fleet.

Oh yeah, I give myself a 28% pay raise

According to NWA's annual report, EVERYONE could work for free and the airline would lose only about 1/3-1/2 of what they currently are losing. With the decoder ring this reads that labor ain't the problem.

XJ management would have to actually grow a set to come to the pilots for concessions. Our current contract is good, but far from stellar, and nowhere near being good enough to be giving away things.

I would, however, not be surprised to see us XJ pilots without pay until the mechanics come back to work if a strike occurs. Of course, everyone else will be paid just like everyone else gets a bonus quarterly for performance and safety.

Although, Sparky62, you can always go to Hotjobs and fill out the app for Pinnacle.

Last edited:
Why would XJ and 9E have to give in to wage concessions? When US airways went into bankruptcy, did PSA, Piedmont,TSA, Colgan, or any other regional carrier have to take a paycut? or when United went chapter 11, Skywest and mesa werent asked to give up pay were they? I know ACA and AWAC ran into problems, tho.

I could be very wrong, but I dont see why NWA's regional carriers would take a hit in the paycheck. Can someone explain the reasoning behind the rumor of a wage concession?

blackbox said:
Why would XJ and 9E have to give in to wage concessions? When US airways went into bankruptcy, did PSA, Piedmont,TSA, Colgan, or any other regional carrier have to take a paycut? or when United went chapter 11, Skywest and mesa werent asked to give up pay were they? I know ACA and AWAC ran into problems, tho.

I could be very wrong, but I dont see why NWA's regional carriers would take a hit in the paycheck. Can someone explain the reasoning behind the rumor of a wage concession?

Bankruptcy could void all contracts, including the Airlink agreements (ASA's). Thus the bankruptcy court could change what NWA pays Mesaba, and thus Mesaba putting the screws to the pilots.

Latest resources

Back