Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mel Sharples

This is NOT an early April Fool's joke.

Within the next 10 days, Mesaba Airlines will announce a deal to fly 35+ 44-seat CRJ's for Northwest Airlines. Deliveries will begin in 6-8 months.

Negotiations for the union involve seat locks for current Avro captains and current first officers. First officers will be allowed to upgrade into the Avro, Saab, and CRJ but will not be allowed to cross-bid F/O seats, even after three years with no upgrade (current book). Avro captains will be locked out for a period of time to prevent them from bidding down to the CRJ.

The plan is to begin filling CRJ vacancies with Saab captains upgrading to CRJ captain, and new hires to fill CRJ F/O slots.

Hiring is being increased on the Saab to offset the losses expected when Saab captains begin to fill CRJ slots. Hiring will continue at 20+ per month throgh at least March of 2006.

Growth is finally here.

What about PBS? I heard that was a part of the hold up. I find it hard to believe it took this long to negotiate seat lock stuff. Also, what are we voting on then?

The company would like PBS too and they also would like to extend the contract a few more years (like it's not long enough already). I'm not sure how that part fits in or what the result would be.

Also, as I understand it, we won't be voting on anything. It is all being negotiated for us.

Within the next 10 days, Mesaba Airlines will announce a deal to fly 35+ 44-seat CRJ's for Northwest Airlines. Deliveries will begin in 6-8 months.

I hope you are right, but....

What are you going to say on April 11th when Mesaba Airlines has most likely accounced nothing? Not to rain on anyone's parade, but come on. I'll make a note to check this thread 10 days from now and see what exactly Mesaba has announced.

Mel Sharples said:

Negotiations for the union involve seat locks for current Avro captains and current first officers. First officers will be allowed to upgrade into the Avro, Saab, and CRJ but will not be allowed to cross-bid F/O seats, even after three years with no upgrade (current book). Avro captains will be locked out for a period of time to prevent them from bidding down to the CRJ.

The plan is to begin filling CRJ vacancies with Saab captains upgrading to CRJ captain, and new hires to fill CRJ F/O slots.

Hiring is being increased on the Saab to offset the losses expected when Saab captains begin to fill CRJ slots. Hiring will continue at 20+ per month throgh at least March of 2006.

Growth is finally here.

All I can say is that it's about dam time.

Rook
Looks like a high overcast.
Better ask for Type IV.

3 fleet types? Not likely. Its already expensive enough to maintain the meagher fleet of 35 avros... now add another 35 aircraft fleet? This just doesnt add up. Plus, they wouldnt be hiring 20-30 a month right now for an aircraft that we wont even see for the better part of a year.

The pieces just dont fit yet man... think about it.

Id love to see it happen, dont get me wrong. But it just doesnt add up quite yet.

The only scenario that seems to make sense is more Avros. They can be had cheap in europe and online quickly.

Who knows?

Last edited:
Crizz said:
3 fleet types? Not likely. Its already expensive enough to maintain the meagher fleet of 35 avros... now add another 35 aircraft fleet? This just doesnt add up. Plus, they wouldnt be hiring 20-30 a month right now for an aircraft that we wont even see for the better part of a year.

The pieces just dont fit yet man... think about it.

Id love to see it happen, dont get me wrong. But it just doesnt add up quite yet.

The only scenario that seems to make sense is more Avros. They can be had cheap in europe and online quickly.

Who knows?

Three fleet types is a necessary evil for a while. Eventually probably the Saab and Avro will go away, but we have to have three fleet types for now if we want to grow.

Why are we hiring so many? You have to plus up the ranks if you want to start training pilots and instructors.

There won't be more Avros. Even if you could buy more, NWA pilots won't allow it. They would have to relax scope to get more than 36 (now 35) Avros and that ain't gonna happen.

Like it or not, I agree that CRJ's are most likely on the way. How many and when are my only questions.

looks like crizz is the expert, even though he obviously did not research the current NWA scope! The CRJ scenerio looks like the most obvious outcome. I hope for the best for all of us, Sorry to rip on criz, but i am sick of all the rediculous rumors, more avros would be great, its a heck of an airplane if NWA used it correctly. I hope Alpa can make us all stronger, without bleeding us lowly regional pilots to protect the coveted mainline pilots...........but i hope they hold strong in some areas.......i hope everyone can keep a good job goodluck all!

hahahahahaaaaaaaaa

The NWA scope is what is gonna get you Mesaba guys and all your CRJ's..
Horizon air is coming over there with 74 seat Dash-8-400 TURBOPROPS and taking all your flying..
I think you'll be furloughing 20 to 30 a month...
Teach you to toot your horn to early

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back