• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa to file bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Tar Heel Hmmm. Guess I should remember that the next time you request a jumpseat you d-bag. How high and mighty you are. At the end of the day I have a job and I'm trying to do it. And what do I get? Some jerk who thinks they know it all and have the answer to everything telling me how much we suck. We know that and dont need your arrogance remind us of it. If you knew any of us in the pilot core I highly doubt you would post such a thing. I'm not JO. I dont drink MESA-ade, I am not looking for a quick upgrade and I don't make the rules. Pull your head out of your @$$ and realize that in the end, whether you like it or not, we are all in this together. So get off the bullypulpit and and remember that you are no better than anyone else just because you work for ABC airlines.

What you don't seem to understand is that when you go as low as Mesa has, it's inevitable in this industry that management will always choose cost over integrity. Sad but true.

So the question is...what company and what group of workers are willing to dig the grave deeper and allow it to get $hittier and $hittier. If someone told you the industry standard for your job in 10 years would stabilize and never exceed $50,000.00 and the maximum days off slimmed down to 8 days off a month, oh yeah, your overnights all happen to be in local Travelodge's...would you do it?

In the end we all (if not yet, at some point) have families, and every one of us on here has to put food on the table and have some kind of quality of life. I sure as hell hope it never gets that bad. WAKE UP, THIS ISN'T A JOB...IT'S A CAREER!! Don't settle for less than you're worth...

I don't , however, have any sympathy for folks who have hired on at mesa with less than a 1000 hrs. They were just looking to bypass their peers with an easier road. J O needs to go so that this industry can at least be a career.

JA makes money and SKW is a decent place to work.

Every regional was hiring with less than 1000 hours last year. Skywest is the only one I know of that at least stayed relatively firm on their hiring minimums. So are you equally unsympathetic for the less than 1000 hours people at Eagle, Lakes, XJet, ASA, etc?

Every regional was hiring with less than 1000 hours last year. Skywest is the only one I know of that at least stayed relatively firm on their hiring minimums. So are you equally unsympathetic for the less than 1000 hours people at Eagle, Lakes, XJet, ASA, etc?

OK, I should have been a little more specific. I meant the " screw the system, I'm not gonna take the CFI or any other experience gaining road. "I'm too good for that!"

I am glad skywest stuck to their guns. I've never had to fly with a guy who was that green.

Newsflash: Airlines are a business. Most of them are OWNED by shareholders. Like all owners, their purpose is to make MONEY. That is the ONLY purpose, the ONLY point, the ONLY definition of a successful business. You'd know that if you ever owned one.

I'm sorry that you think that the purpose of any public corporation is to provide jobs and make employees happy. Some do, and that's all well and good, but it's not their primary function.

Answer: You don't like it? Pick where you work. It's a free country.

Oh . . . Anyone who thinks that Mesa going out of business is going to make one whit of difference to "the industry" or other pilots is just kidding themselves.
Yes, the primary purpose of a business is to make money. But it has been shown time and time again that the most successful businesses, the ones that have the best chances of survival, are the ones that pay attention to the well-being of the customers, the employees, AND the shareholders. When companies consistently shortchange their customers and their employees, they deserve to and they do eventually cease to exist. That's why intelligent people don't work for shady companies.

To believe that Mesa's disappearance will have no effect on the rest of the industry is naive at best, but more likely rationalization by someone with a guilty conscience. OF COURSE the industry average is the greatest determinant in all contract negotiations, and removing the lowest common denominator will have a significant impact!!

Stock Still Plummeting

Mesa stock opened today at $.45 a share. Every day it trades down a few cents.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15837290?q=mesa

Anyone know when their Q1 earnings report comes out? Think we'll have the best idea of where they stand that day or the day after.

Of course Mesa was considered a success by the investors.

Newsflash: Airlines are a business. Most of them are OWNED by shareholders. Like all owners, their purpose is to make MONEY. That is the ONLY purpose, the ONLY point, the ONLY definition of a successful business. You'd know that if you ever owned one.

I'm sorry that you think that the purpose of any public corporation is to provide jobs and make employees happy. Some do, and that's all well and good, but it's not their primary function.

Answer: You don't like it? Pick where you work. It's a free country.

Oh . . . Anyone who thinks that Mesa going out of business is going to make one whit of difference to "the industry" or other pilots is just kidding themselves.

90% of the griping about Mesa is by Aloha/Independence guys with revenge fantasies sprinkled with a smattering of regional lift guys who lost some of "their" flying. The guys who admit it might be petty . . . but at least they're hones.

Guys who try to put some "greater meaning" on their avowed wish to see 5000 people out on the street during an economic downturn make me sick.
Soverytired, what can I say? Well, Duh. Of course companies are in it to make money, if you didn't get that from my post, you obviously didn't read it right. My point is that the magazine was in error, and that short term gains while digging yourself into a hole in the long run is not a good business model.

I don't buy into your 90% argument either. I see a lot of ex-Mesa pilots trying to persuade people not to go there, or folks like me who have worked plenty around Mesa but never for them. What they do to their employees, the condition their planes are in, etc, it makes me sick.

I really don't want to see Mesa employees on the street either, rather, I'd like to see something more like Skyway where Skywest offered their pilots jobs in MKE. I don't think Skywest is great, but still one of the better regionals out there.

And yes, I do believe that this industry will be better without Mesa (if they do indeed go under). If nothing else, better companies will get those contracts. What would be better is if investors got the message that having the lowest labor costs among your competitors is a short term gain, and will eventually hurt you when there's a labor shortage.

As a former Air Midwest Pilot, I must admit I was part of the problem. I was naive, and didnt know any better to go there. I had my eye on the one goal that every one has on their mind. It is only through extreme education, and a few slaps upside the head that we can stop people from going to these places...Good Luck to all Mesa Pilots, you all know that its time to move on.

Latest resources

Back