• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa orders $637 million of Bombardier j

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And also, a 10 year Comair 70 Captain is 85.44, which is 20 seats less, same seniority, and "10.44" an hour more.

And even worse, a 10 year Comair 50 Captain is 76.29, which is 40 seats less, same seniority and 1.29 per hour more!!!

Geez:eek:

Somehow it's not as much fun when you don't make enough money to buy groceries, pay the mortgage, and go on vacation even when you get it. Money's not the only thing but it's the main reason I wanted to work for an airline.

If I had really known what fun flying was I would have become a computer nerd and be out flying my supercub right now. No Unions, no Mesa contract, no management bullshiit. That would be real fun.

cheers

big dog1 said:
Reuters
UPDATE - Mesa orders $637 million of Bombardier jets
Tuesday January 27, 12:30 pm ET

(Adds details, background, stock price. Figures in U.S. dollars unless noted)
MONTREAL, Jan 27 (Reuters) - Bombardier Inc. (Toronto:BBDb.TO - News) said on Tuesday it won a $637 million order from Mesa Air Group Inc. (NasdaqNM:MESA - News) for 20 of its regional jets.

The order represents half of Phoenix, Arizona-based Mesa's option to buy 40 aircraft from Montreal-based Bombardier. Bombardier said the order is for a mix of its 70-seat CRJ700 and 90-seat CRJ900 series, which has yet to be spelled out.

Rapidly expanding Mesa will use the new planes for contractual commitments with United Airlines and America West Airlines. The company reported a first-quarter profit on Tuesday on stronger passenger count and revenues.

Bombardier's class B shares were up 10 Canadian cents at C$5.79 on the Toronto Stock Exchange (News - Websites) on Tuesday.

($1=$1.31 Canadian)

Just remember guys keep undercutting everyone else on those 70-90 seat pay rates so you can get your Turbine PIC and move on the majors!!! Don't worry about FO pay, because all that counts is Turbine PIC. In fact FO pay should stay equal to 50 seat pay, because after all the FO time is pretty much worthless! Remember though you too will upgrade soon if you just sacrifice right now...

Last edited:
Yep, no problem landing the CRJ900. It has a max nose-up of 13 degrees and the Mesa San Juan 300hr pilots have no problem landing it. ;)

I wish southwest, jetblue, and airtran would stop undercutting the majors. Southwest is goiing to hire like 500 pilots over the next two years, maybe more. Whats the world coming too. Now I will never get to go to the big six or five what ever it is now.

Last edited:
Dont blame Southwest pay and do your research. Southwest pilots are paid very well and are treated very well. I cant wait to work there. Yes you do work at southwest, but you still see a lot of days off and get to enjoy the job.....plus you make good money doing it........

These numbers do not look like they are bringing down the industry

Year 5 FO
AirTran------------------72.01
SouthWest-------------108.24
JetBlue------------------78.24
AmericaWest----------72.30---prior to new contract

Year 5 CPT
AirTran-----------------120.01 737-700
AirTran-----------------135.61 737-800
SouthWest------------166.53 737
JetBlue-----------------131.34 A320
AmericaWest----------111.23-prior to new contract

Notes

jetBlue-averag hourly rate based on 85 hours a month
SWA-Calculated actual trip pay rates converted to an hourly rate with a conversion factor of 1.139

These are the legacy carriers CPT rates

AMR---------------147.93 737-800
CAL---------------148.55 737-700
DAL---------------243.07 737NG
NWA--------------200.60 A319/320
USAIR-------------143.57 A319-320
UAL----------------136.64 A319/320

The numbers show that the LCC are not that far out of the average. Excluding the high DAL pay of course as they are 2 standard deviations outside of the norm.

Some of you are missing the point here. It is because of the LCC's that the Majors are furloughing and cutting labor costs. Undercutting (or competition, if you prefer) has been going on for years. Why do you think Air Tran and Southwest are doing so good right now? Now they are the darlings, but 10 years ago Southwest pilots were not very liked because of their wages and work rules. Now will Mesa grow and eventually raise their wages or will wages from other regionals come down to meet theirs like what is happening with USAir and Southwest. I guess time will tell.

In 1998 when I left a mid-sized regional to go work for AirTran people thought I was a nutcase!!

"Why the heck do you want to go work for Valujet???!!" they said.

Our class was a real bunch of winners too. We were the scum of the earth (I can admit it). All a bunch of guys (and gals) who, for whatever reason, could not get hired by a major. The concensus was, at the time, that a little DC9 time might make us more competitive.

The airline was a joke at the time. Our manuals were a mishmash of Valujet, Airtran, and Eastern. The airplanes were old British Midland and Turkish Air. Most didnt even have an HSI.

Getting furloughed in Oct 98 was a blessing in disguise ... or so I thought.

Fast forward just 5 years and all of the sudden it has become a career airline??? This is the place that people are falling all over themselves to get a job?

Well, maybe your crystal ball is better than mine but we make the decisions we make based on the best information we had at the time.

I fly with an awful lot of guys NOW (2003) who say, "I cant believe you went to USAir!!! Why would you go THERE?"

Well, come on. That is a great answer in 2003, but would have been a pretty unrealistic answer in 1999 when I had just been furloughed by AirTran (after just completing training), and US Airways was hiring over 100 pilots a MONTH, and getting a new Airbus every WEEK.

Today's "airline of choice" for regional pilots looking to move on are places like AirTran and Jetblue. It will be interesting to see what the NEXT five years bring.

Flying IS fun... but fun doesnt feed the kids.

PS - A reminder. There is no such thing as a flying career... just your next flying job.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back