• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa orders $637 million of Bombardier j

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FurloughedAgain.........You are correct the get on the bandwagon pilots want SW,JB and Air Tran and someone will probably ask them in 5yrs...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!......good post

Re: Re: Mesa orders $637 million of Bombardier j

nimtz said:
Just remember guys keep undercutting everyone else on those 70-90 seat pay rates so you can get your Turbine PIC and move on the majors!!! Don't worry about FO pay, because all that counts is Turbine PIC. In fact FO pay should stay equal to 50 seat pay, because after all the FO time is pretty much worthless! Remember though you too will upgrade soon if you just sacrifice right now...

Yea! Get all that Turbine PIC so you can go to United…. oops! I mean US Airways… oops! I mean American… oops! I mean for any major…that’s left, after we take everyone’s jobs by flying at atrocious pay rates.

I thank god every day for my major brethren who don’t loosen scope to much, to ensure their professional future, and mine.

Avro,

Kool Aid refills are free, have another.

surplus1 said:
Avro,

Kool Aid refills are free, have another.

By gauging your other posts, I thought you were above this maturity level.

I’m sorry you don’t get along with your major airline colleagues. I can assure you there are benefits to this.

crj579 said:
It is because of the LCC's that the Majors are furloughing and cutting labor costs.

Or is it because the Major's follow a broken business model in which they only make money when things are booming and immediately start hemorrhaging money when the economy takes a turn?

The Majors are furloughing and cutting labor costs because their business plan doesn't work in a down economy. They are lead by people with guaranteed pensions and off-shore retirement funds that will live a quite comfortable life regardless of what happens to the company, so what do they really care?

Have the LCCs influenced what has happened at the Majors? Sure they have. The Major's are trying to use LCCs as a reason why they need to furlough and get concessions from their workers but they seem to be missing the point. All furloughs and concessions might do is allow a company to hang on until the economy picks up. But at that point they can bury their heads in the sand until the next recession rolls around, so why worry?

My $.02, the Majors are furloughing and cutting labor costs because of poor management and planning, not because of LCCs. If they would pay attention to fixing their underlying problems they wouldn't have to worry so much about AirTran. Southwest, or JetBlue.

Last edited:
FurloughedAgain,

I agree 110% with every word of your post.

I too was hired by AirTran in '98 (must have been before you beacuse I missed the furlough by a few classes). I never expected this one time rag-tag operation to amount to a hill of sh!t.

I remenber what you said about the training/manuals. Half the manuals said ValuJet, the FSI instructors didn't know the FOM, procedures changed daily and the moral was very low. I can't believe some people (not me) actually paid for this training.

We're the flavor of the week right now but who knows what will happen in 5 years from now.

Good Times...

I'm glad to see that you prospered and hopefully some of the good guys from my class did well and continue make strong careers at AirTran.

Guys like Scroggins, Hagen (the 'Lakers), Choate -- all super guys who, if they're still there are, I assume, excellent B717 captains.

Was a neat place. But, we make the decisions based on the information we have at the time, and when the recall came, going back never even crossed my mind.

Ever see that Seinfeld episode when George finally realised that if he would just do the OPPOSITE of his gut-feeling, he would be successful?

I'm considering employing that technique...

Take care!

Shamrock

My $.02, the Majors are furloughing and cutting labor costs because of poor management and planning, not because of LCCs. If they would pay attention to fixing their underlying problems they wouldn't have to worry so much about AirTran. Southwest, or JetBlue.

You are right about the poor management and planning, but wrong about LCC's. 3-4 years ago, ALPA was blaming the regionals for all of the mainline woe's. We were stealing all of the flying, management was breaking their scope demands with RJ's, and Planebusiness.com was the choice message board. Now the mainlines are strugling even more because of the ill conceived notions of tying managements hand and only allowing a certain number of RJ's or none at all; to preserve the industry. Well, back then, some of us were trying to state that the problems were not the WO regionals, but the LCC's. Of course we were told otherwise! Mainline structures were intact fom the pre regulation days. LCC structures were brand new and cost efficient. Mainline just looked the other way and ignored the new "cancer", in denial (not ment to diss the LCC's). ALPA is still hoping it will all just go away.

Well, they are here to stay, and thus they are direct competition. Mainline has to reorganize and compete, or they go away. Sure, mainline has international routes that the LCC's don't have, but it is just a mater of time before the LCC's are going accross the pond. Management did screw up, but mainline has to somewhat mirror the competitions structure in pay and operational methology to stay afloat. Example: Delta better get their pay structures in line with the industry or they to will be left in the dust. AA, US and United have already experienced the shock of the LCC's the hard way by limiting or scoping out the RJ's and ignoring the real competition. Delta was fortunate to have a more lax scope that allowed the company to somewhat right size the aircraft, and thus is still fairly strong.

So, bottom line is that the LCC's are the real problem (along with inept management). The legacy carriers need to get off the pot and restructure, recost, regroup, and rearm, or their wont be anything left but a shell of their original self.

OK, I am done! Flame away.;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back