• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa - Number one regional 11th straight month

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Possible. But the fact is that it was cheaper for SKW to fly those planes for USAirways at a loss than to park them and lose even more money on the leases. It makes a certain amount of sense, but it is hardly the model image of "smart". And even if its their best option, its hardly something to celebrate... regional airlines undercutting eachother and being willing to fly at a known loss. Its kinda the problem we have with pilots, isnt it?

I hate to burst your bubble, but SkyWest is not flying those 200s for US Airways at a loss. Sure, in the announcement SkyWest said they would use aircraft already on property. True enough, the first two aircraft painted are 906SW and 907SW. However, since that announcement, here is the list of 200s that SkyWest has acquired:

455CA, 477CA, 479CA, 487CA, 629BR, 652BR, 659BR, 779CA, 781CA, 783CA, 809CA, 821CA, 874AS, 875AS, 885AS, 886AS, 889AS

So, you're going to tell me that all 17 of these aircraft were pulled out of the desert or taken off the hands ofother operators just so SkyWest could fly 14 200s at a loss for US Airways? AND SkyWest then went and up their contract with US Airways for a 15th 200 for them to fly any at-risk routes they choose just to lose even more money? HAHA! Please!

Last edited:
Usairways owning Mesa is more scary, look at the history of majors owning regionals. Comair, eagle, and Mesaba. Things usually don't turn out good.

SkyWest might be the easy target to hate for some, and yeah some of our pilot group does gloat a tad too much, but who hasn't picked on Mesa and smile a little bit to see them struggle. If piedmont or airwhisky, came in and said "we can't wait to crush Mesa" would it make u feel any different? If a SkyWest pilot who worked at Mesa told you that I hope SkyWest destroys Mesa and JO does that make you feel any better? SkyWest might be ruthless and does do things shady with pitting it's labor against each other, yet it's NOTHING like what Mesa mgmt has a huge history of doing.
You can wish all the ill will towards all of us in general at SKW all you want, but Mesa has hurt the industry more than SkyWest ever has.

I don't think any of us would hope a pilot to lose their job and many would help their fellow Mesa pilot out. But Mesa is one of those companies that we all love to fail because of what JO has done to our industry.

I hate to break it to you guys, but the history with the regionals is that the majors build them up and tear them down. I don't know what's happening with Mesa, but if their on-time performance continues, the majors will reward them, especially if they bid low. The only thing that can kill a regional is if the majors find their cost structure too high.

Usairways owning Mesa is more scary, look at the history of majors owning regionals. Comair, eagle, and Mesaba. Things usually don't turn out good.

SkyWest might be the easy target to hate for some, and yeah some of our pilot group does gloat a tad too much, but who hasn't picked on Mesa and smile a little bit to see them struggle. If piedmont or airwhisky, came in and said "we can't wait to crush Mesa" would it make u feel any different? If a SkyWest pilot who worked at Mesa told you that I hope SkyWest destroys Mesa and JO does that make you feel any better? SkyWest might be ruthless and does do things shady with pitting it's labor against each other, yet it's NOTHING like what Mesa mgmt has a huge history of doing.
You can wish all the ill will towards all of us in general at SKW all you want, but Mesa has hurt the industry more than SkyWest ever has.

I don't think any of us would hope a pilot to lose their job and many would help their fellow Mesa pilot out. But Mesa is one of those companies that we all love to fail because of what JO has done to our industry.

YOU'RE missing the point... this was a thread about Mesa performance and some SKW guy comes on and gloats about how SKW will be taking Meswas flying. I point out that its immature and Now YOU'RE getting defensive??? I never said anything mean about Skywest, just pointed out that some distasteful comments by a few make your group look bad. And you worry that skywest is a target? Yet you justify mesa bashing by saying that everyone does it. This is why pilots will never be united. In addition I don't think you have any idea what atrocities mesa pilots stopped when they took a sub-standard contract to stop managements freedom whipsaw. What kind of scope and protection does skywest have? Guess what... its happening there now. Just ask asa/expressjet guys!

Sorry, I forgot that Skywest people are so smart. At least in their own minds. So smart that Skywest approached USAirways to ask if they could fly the 200s at a huge loss. There's something to gloat about. How many of those fuel-efficient CRJ200s do you have over there? Oh wait... maybe SKW isn't so invulnerable afterall?

Again, its a shame that a few of you folks at SKW are tainting the image of your entire pilot group. I think I'm starting to understand some of the things I've heard others say about the attitudes of a certain airlines' crewmembers.
You realize you are arguing with a dikscratcher?

I hate to burst your bubble, but SkyWest is not flying those 200s for US Airways at a loss. Sure, in the announcement SkyWest said they would use aircraft already on property. True enough, the first two aircraft painted are 906SW and 907SW. However, since that announcement, here is the list of 200s that SkyWest has acquired:

455CA, 477CA, 479CA, 487CA, 629BR, 652BR, 659BR, 779CA, 781CA, 783CA, 809CA, 821CA, 874AS, 875AS, 885AS, 886AS, 889AS

So, you're going to tell me that all 17 of these aircraft were pulled out of the desert or taken off the hands ofother operators just so SkyWest could fly 14 200s at a loss for US Airways? AND SkyWest then went and up their contract with US Airways for a 15th 200 for them to fly any at-risk routes they choose just to lose even more money? HAHA! Please!

I heard 6 of them are coming from ASA (where DAL pulled them), while ASA pilots look at furloughs and downgrades. So the union pilot group of the company is being screwed while the non union group at the same company is growing. Classy act guys. Guess the ASA side "bid too much" and the SkyWest side undercut their "bid"? ASA should be doing that flying.

I heard 6 of them are coming from ASA (where DAL pulled them), while ASA pilots look at furloughs and downgrades. So the union pilot group of the company is being screwed while the non union group at the same company is growing. Classy act guys. Guess the ASA side "bid too much" and the SkyWest side undercut their "bid"? ASA should be doing that flying.

Bingo. And again the point wasnt trashing Skywest, just the attitude of a couple pilots (and apparently) a dispatcher is dissapointing.

Rumor lately is that Mesa is ending up with some flying with American through this AMR bankruptcy. Am I happy to see Mesa get some additional flying? Of course... we still have guys on furlough. But Im CERTAINLY NOT happy that it might be at the expense of American Eagle pilots or that some of them will be losing jobs. That is something I will not celebrate... and most of the Mesa pilots I know would feel the same way. I would be embarassed of anyone who said otherwise.

I realize that business is business and jobs will move around. Skywest offered USAirways a better offer and US went with it... fair enough. I have zero hard feelings toward any Skywest pilots merely because they are flying for SKW under the US banner in PHX. I DO, however, have a BIG problem with the attitudes some of these guys have presented. To come on to a totally unlreated thread just to gloat that SKW (who is currently not even able to staff the operation and had to ask USAirways to have Mesa delay the pull down of the Dash 8 fleet until they can fix their staffing issues) is "hopefully" going to take even more lines of flying from Mesa (who still has several pilots on furlough) is distasteful and should be enough to have the good guys/gals at SKW utterly embarrased. And the defense for this behavior that a couple of you on here use is even more disgusting.

Truth is, THIS is what has done the most damage to the regional pilot group. Its time for those loudmouths to look in the mirror... or even better... look over next door and use some energy to stop their fellow SKW group pilots from getting hosed (ASA/Expressjet). Its sickening.

The real Delta story

That worked out really well for Mesa and Delta with the CRJ-900 didn't it. Last I check Pinnacle Corp and ASA are flying the ones Mesa use to have

We all know what really happened with Delta. Mesa agreed to cancel flights out of JFK for bad weather so Delta to use the slots. A new CEO showed up, found out he had way too much 50 seat lift, claimed TCF was below contract minimums and cancelled the contract. Really had nothing to do with Mesa's performance. In fact Mesa, when the contract actually terminated Mesa was the best performing Delta Connection partner.

Latest resources

Back