Mesa looking for BE-1900 captains?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nancy Pryor said:
This is priceless. Mesa has to come up with a "peace offering to the industry"? It's not Mesa pilots doing the endless attacking, they are the ones being endlessly attacked, blamed and vilified by some other regional pilots who think they're superior because they happen to work at a regional with a better contract. Maybe any peace offering should come from those who have been doing the attacking, not those being attacked.

Since you're deciding what other regional pilots are required to do to get into "other regionals good graces", now that their vote is in what should the Comair pilots do to meet your approval?

Don't put words in my mouth Nancy. I didn't write that they have to come up with anything nor did I 'decide' what anyone had to do for anyone to be in good graces. I Commute on Mesa quite a bit now that AWAC's on the east coast and have had great experiences, I'm pulling for Mesa seriously. I was trying to be encouraging that's all.

The facts are that Comair walked in 2001 and got a damn good contract, while since then Mesa has been awarded flying that many other regionals used to do. I'm fine with them, they were just the latest carrier up against a Mesa whipsaw with a bankrupt major. Tell me how many carriers has Comair replaced flying for at other regionals please? This industry has only hit rock bottom when the Mesa pilots and other low cost regionals have decided so, grow a spine and negotiate a better contract.

Crossky said:
Don't put words in my mouth Nancy. I didn't write that they have to come up with anything nor did I 'decide' what anyone had to do for anyone to be in good graces. I Commute on Mesa quite a bit now that AWAC's on the east coast and have had great experiences, I'm pulling for Mesa seriously. I was trying to be encouraging that's all.
Sorry Crossky, I'm so used to seeing people attack and look down their noses at Mesa pilots on this board I thought you were doing the same thing with your comments - my mistake. I'm glad you're pulling for them. So am I.

Crossky said:
The facts are that Comair walked in 2001 and got a dang good contract, while since then Mesa has been awarded flying that many other regionals used to do. I'm fine with them, they were just the latest carrier up against a Mesa whipsaw with a bankrupt major. Tell me how many carriers has Comair replaced flying for at other regionals please? This industry has only hit rock bottom when the Mesa pilots and other low cost regionals have decided so, grow a spine and negotiate a better contract.
When the time comes for the Mesa pilots to "grow a spine" it will be easier for them to do so if they have support instead of hostility and attitude from other regional pilots. Glad you're one of them, I hope many more decide to support them when the time comes. Good luck to all of us.

Maybe if the Mesa pilots grew a spine in the beginning, they would have the support from other feeder pukes.

Crossky said:
This industry has only hit rock bottom when the Mesa pilots and other low cost regionals have decided so, grow a spine and negotiate a better contract.

I don't think we can allow opinions like that to be presented as facts without proof. So Please, is that an assertion you can prove, of just something that makes you feel good?

I'd say you need to read your airline history, because this industry has "hit rock bottom" many times before... starting, oh with deregulation I suppose!

You are just witnessing the latest and greatest incarnation of an OLD problem.

Perhaps you might say it is competition and, well, capitalism that make for this continual "hitting of rock bottom."

El Ocho said:
I don't think we can allow opinions like that to be presented as facts without proof. So Please, is that an assertion you can prove, of just something that makes you feel good?

I'd say you need to read your airline history, because this industry has "hit rock bottom" many times before... starting, oh with deregulation I suppose!

You are just witnessing the latest and greatest incarnation of an OLD problem.

Perhaps you might say it is competition and, well, capitalism that make for this continual "hitting of rock bottom."

I FEEL GOOD! - James Brown

Oh yes my El Ocho! It's Capitalism's fault that I'm continually hitting rock bottom.

I've GOT to stop visiting flightinfo. That's my new New Year's resolution. "Goodbye" (in my best AOL voice).

CapnVegetto said:
Yeah, I was there at the time, guys were being awarded DHC8 CA right out of training. It's actually what I wanted, but they didn't give it to me. I had about 2000 hours, an ATP, and about 500 hours of jet time, and they were giving the slots to 1500 hour CFI's with NO turbine time. I guess that was my initiation into the eternal dumbassedness that is Mesa. That company is so poorly run it just blows my mind.

Let me clarify this slightly. Yes, D8 capts were awarded off the street 2 years ago. I was in the first class of them. It was a rare opportunity and I consider myself lucky for having been in the right place at the right time.

However, I can't think of 1 person with CFI-only experience who made it through the program. There was 1 CFI with about 2000TT and 1 C-210 135 pilot in my class, but both of them washed out in the sim. One was a good friend of mine, a really sharp pilot too. He is at Skywest and MUCH happier. In my class only half made it through. In total I believe there were 12 street captains in 3 classes. About 6 UAL furloughs, 3 Big Sky, 1 National, and 2 from other regionals flying compareable equipment.

I made it by the skin of my teeth.. I almost ruined my career by getting into it with some of the wrong people early on. I couldn't believe the attrocities I was seeing and spoke up. For a few, I know for sure that Mesa put a nasty gash on their otherwise clean records. It may have been a blessing to not have gone into that deal.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back