Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Just saw an ad on climbto350.com that Mesa is looking to hire direct entry 1900 captains. WTF??? You can't tell me there's NOBODY on their seniority list that would be willing to take a 1900 upgrade? I know the contract prohibits Jet FO to prop captain, but surely hiring street captains is a violation other than opening it up and awarding it to people already there.

Of course, Jonny O would rather pay 1st year wages than 2nd or 3rd wages, and I figure that it might be a way of trying to get around that.

Thoughts?

I bet some guys don't have the TT to do it? There's a few instructors at MPD that I believe were offered CA positions recently. There was even a case or two two years ago where mesa was offering street captain on the Dash-8 to a couple of the CFI's there with previous 135 time...

Maybe I should've gone to mesa?

And about it being a violation, I don't think management cares about violating the contract from what I hear. They just do it.

Naaah. I'm tired of "hurrying up to wait" so to speak...

~wheelsup

Yeah, I was there at the time, guys were being awarded DHC8 CA right out of training. It's actually what I wanted, but they didn't give it to me. I had about 2000 hours, an ATP, and about 500 hours of jet time, and they were giving the slots to 1500 hour CFI's with NO turbine time. I guess that was my initiation into the eternal dumbassedness that is Mesa. That company is so poorly run it just blows my mind.

They are most likely hired as BE 1900 FO's, and just happen to be trained in the left seat and just happen to take an atp/be1900 type ride. After training, they instantly upgrade to captain since nobody senior to them meets the requirements of 14CFR 61. Bam! Instant 1900 CA!

this is true

CP sent us a memo yesterday and it is true. We have alot of san juaners that don't have the requirements. If you miss the boat you may be an FO for awhile here at Air Midwest (mesa's redheaded step child) I have had a lot of fun here. In a lil' over 2 years I have Flown 1500 hours in the mighty beech gotten 1100 turbine PIC, can hold Capt. in the ERJ (if I want it), and I can almost hold CRJ capt. It's what you make of it over here. I have no MAJOR complaints. Plenty of Opportunity!!!!!

hyperboy said:
CP sent us a memo yesterday and it is true. We have alot of san juaners that don't have the requirements. If you miss the boat you may be an FO for awhile here at Air Midwest (mesa's redheaded step child) I have had a lot of fun here. In a lil' over 2 years I have Flown 1500 hours in the mighty beech gotten 1100 turbine PIC, can hold Capt. in the ERJ (if I want it), and I can almost hold CRJ capt. It's what you make of it over here. I have no MAJOR complaints. Plenty of Opportunity!!!!!

That's great, good for you for real. I flew the Beech at Lakes for a while it was good times also.

I'm glad there's 'plenty of opportunity' and hope that there is enough for you all. Along those lines, this is not a threat (more like a fact): please y'all don't give up anything to get the COEX ERJ flying. That could represent your peace offering to the industy. And if you really want to get in other regionals good graces, your union could actually get a better contract, which I believe is possible. Peace.

Crossky said:
Along those lines, this is not a threat (more like a fact): please y'all don't give up anything to get the COEX ERJ flying. That could represent your peace offering to the industy. And if you really want to get in other regionals good graces, your union could actually get a better contract, which I believe is possible. Peace.
This is priceless. Mesa has to come up with a "peace offering to the industry"? It's not Mesa pilots doing the endless attacking, they are the ones being endlessly attacked, blamed and vilified by some other regional pilots who think they're superior because they happen to work at a regional with a better contract. Maybe any peace offering should come from those who have been doing the attacking, not those being attacked.

Since you're deciding what other regional pilots are required to do to get into "other regionals good graces", now that their vote is in what should the Comair pilots do to meet your approval?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back