• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a Mesa pilot (did I just admit that?) I apologize for your efforts being in vain on getting aboard. I can honestly say that EVERY Captain I have flown with has made every attempt possible to ensure that jumpseaters get on board. At least in PHL, I would have to venture that over 80% of our crews are commuters, and we all understand the plight of others in getting to/from work (or whatever the reason for jumpseating). Unfortunately, a lot is out of our control. And, unfortunately, we're oftentimes not even informed by the gate agent that a jumpseater is trying to get on.

For example, we had a situation just last week at an outstation. We were told that a pilot inside the gate was needing a ride (the flight was full) and asked if he could jumpseat. We immediately said he could, and awaited him to come out to the airplane. Inside the gate, we noticed a conversation between the gate agent and the jumpseater. Then, we noticed the jumpseater leave? As the gate agent came out to the plane with the final paperwork, we asked "where's the jumpseater?" (we were already late getting off the gate). To our dismay, the gate agent told us that "he wasn't dressed in appropriate attire, so I said he couldn't get on board". We were LIVID! We could clearly see that this individual was dressed in a professional manner, and this was the last flight out that evening. He was hosed...not by the crew, but by the gate agent.

As a commuter myself, I have been denied a few times by gate agents that clearly made the executive decision themselves. It takes all of my self control to accept their decision without demanding to talk to the crew. I wonder just how many times we're denied a ride...not due to weight restrictions or other variables, but simply by a gate agent with a chip on their shoulder. To say the least, it's upsetting.

Again, my apologies for your frustrations...please don't think that, as a group, we Mesa crews are in any ways attempting to block your ability to jumpseat. If possible, try to interface with the Captain when s/he comes out to grab the release, or somehow let a crewmember know that you're trying to get on. If we're made aware of your need to get a ride, I can guarantee you we'll do everything in our power to get you where you need to go. That's a promise.

Safe flying,
-Earl

PM me...

Give me the details of your flight(s). Particularly where it is your j/s'ing from. I won't go get anyone in trouble, but I will try to find out why you were left...repeatedly. As far as CASS is concerned, everyone up through the CP is ready to get the ball rolling. One guess where the hangup is.... If it is PHX, I have two pieces of info for you: 1) MANY, MANY of the agents are BRAND NEW. 2) HP will regulary authorize a 50 seat flight at up to 67 tickets sold. They oversell unabashedly... Lastly, if you believe your treatment was less than professional, PLEASE contact your j/s coordinator and let them know. I'd be happy to try and help you resolve your troubles.

This is what I like to see, pilots helping pilots, the way it should be.

Good on ya Mr. Williams and wscrj

An AVDAD

Don't feel so bad ivauir they treated me the same way, I was even a pilot for Mesa. The rules always changed from whoever was there first to who had the most seniority, it changed with every gate agent. f^cking place sucks! Burn it down! Again nothing against the flight crews, I made alot of friends while I was there.

FlyChicaga said:
The one time I've jumpseated on Mesa, I will say it was not a pleasurable experience. BUT, that had NOTHING to do with the crew. They really were great. Very kind about getting me home, even though it took seven hours with a ground stop in ORD. It was just sitting on the ramp for 2 1/2 hours in the last row next to the piss-reeking lav, a few gate returns, and getting up after the long flight to find that myself and the guy in front of me had gum stuck to our pants. In fact, after that flight, I felt more pain for the crew than anything else, having to work for that douchebag Oriensten! That poor F/A was taking so much crap from the passengers.

Not to throw stones right back, but you're describing EXACTLY what I felt the last time I flew a XJet flight! How ironic!!!

Thanks for the words ... I hold nothing against Mesa, I am always treated well by the crews and the folks in Tucson. The folks in PHX do seem over whelmed. If you ever get CASS I'll try you again.
Again, thanks for the great responses and information.

For what is worth, Ive j/s several times on Mesa flights with different tails, and must say every crew has been good to me. Gate agents everywhere are a handful, but can you blame them. They usually put up with alot more than I could from folks! Aight..........Johnny Drama...out!

I nonrev on Mesa to and from work. Since they're flying a US tail, I can get the actual j/s if need be. However, throw in an alternate or extra bags, and I might be headed for the hotel rather than home if it hadn't been for several Mesa crews at times working to get me on the airplane.

With very few exceptions, they've been an excellent ride to and from work.

No CASS ever for Mesa. That would require JO to spend money out of his bonus and it might actually improve conditions!!! He can't have that!!!

Latest resources

Back