• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Guys/Gals, Read This!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"For those Mesa drivers that feel the need to insult me because I recommended an article in “Air Line Pilot”, do you think Mesaba Pilots should give in to managements offers (slight pay cut), only seek minor improvements, or not lower our original (pre 9-11) goals?"

No one is trying to insult you because you recomended an article.

Listen, EVERY compaines negotiations is unique and fitted to deal with that perticular company sitation.
Mesaba's negotiation can not be compared with Mesa's.
I must say that I am not very familiar with Mesabas negs,( I have enough trouble to keep track on exactly what happends at Mesa from time to time...) but if you blame Mesas contract for anything, can you claim to know most of the facts around our ( Mesas ) negotiation?

You asked if you should give in to Managements offer of pay cut, ( we at Mesa did not ) and if you should lower your pre 9-11 goals. Only you Mesaba pilots should be entiteled to answer that. Period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

".....and our jobs are being threatened by an alter-ego airline (Big Sky)"

You have a advantage that we at Mesa did not have. Mesaba got released to self-help after 3 years of negotiation.
In a few months during our first year of negotiating Freedom had taken over about half of our largest base and was growing rapidly.Who knows the size Freedom would have been today with still another year to go.....
Anyway, how large has Big Sky grown?

Take care, good luck, whatever way you all choose to take, and the best wishes to all pilots @ Mesaba.

"The difference is that Mesa CAVED and Mesaba is standing strong.........."

As I just stated, EACH company contract negotiation situation is unique.
Compare YOUR contract negotiation vs Mesa's.....

We ( Mesa ) got some modest gain, some cancellation protection, guarrantee raises, good scope ( items we did not have in our old contract ) and some more time off a bid, we stopped Freedom and got 150 + pilots on the street back, without taking any pay-cuts.....
I am not saying that our contract is a (very) good one, but it is a improvement if you compare it with our old one.

cl65200 said:
"The difference is that Mesa CAVED and Mesaba is standing strong.........."

As I just stated, EACH company contract negotiation situation is unique.
Compare YOUR contract negotiation vs Mesa's.....

We ( Mesa ) got some modest gain, some cancellation protection, guarrantee raises, good scope ( items we did not have in our old contract ) and some more time off a bid, we stopped Freedom and got 150 + pilots on the street back, without taking any pay-cuts.....
I am not saying that our contract is a (very) good one, but it is a improvement if you compare it with our old one.

First of all, I want to thank you for your responsible dialog! You have shown a level of maturity that seems scarce on this board.

Actually Big Sky is more of a threat than Freedom was, and this is why. Freedom was a non-union alter-ego, that started with the sole intentions of taking jobs. Very easy to defeat in the courts! As you all did. Big Sky, however is a unionized carrier with their own representation. If XJ management (NW) wants to transfer flying to Big Sky, they will, and it can’t be stopped. This was done to Express (now Pinnacle) in the mid 90’s, and there was nothing that could be done about it, except scope, and they didn’t have any. XJ pilots will get scope (to have a single seniority list between BS and XJ), but not at the expense of our original contract goals! This is why we have garnered the respect of our peers.

Do you want to know how similar our negotiations are to yours? It’s even the same law firm that is representing XJ (Company), that represented Mesa Air Group!

please get off your high horse and strike on the 10th.

good luck, we'll be supporting you (literally), mesa pilots included.

"Actually Big Sky is more of a threat than Freedom was, and this is why. Freedom was a non-union alter-ego, that started with the sole intentions of taking jobs. Very easy to defeat in the courts! As you all did. Big Sky, however is a unionized carrier with their own representation. If XJ management (NW) wants to transfer flying to Big Sky, they will, and it can’t be stopped."

Well, Freedom had also its form of in-house "union" ( if you can call it that......) The lawsuit against Freedom actually never saw its light in court and was still pending when we came to agreement. Who knows what the rouling would have been ( my bet is that we would have won the single-carrier filing, a rouling that really does not have much "punch" to start with...But I belive we easily could have lost the Freedom fight. )
Mesa AG did transfere a lot of flying from Mesa to Freedom during our negotiation and it was nothing we could do to stop it either.....

Take Care.

I just had to jump into this discussion. Although I am not privy to a lot of information from either of the negotiations that most of you are talking about, what I can say is that we ALL need to be concerned when an entity lowers the bar on the quality of life and compensation for this profession. I also think some people on here need to grow up a bit. Pilots tend to get a bad rap in general because some make pig-headed comments that are not warranted nor justified and put us all in a bad light. Mesa Pilots had challenges to deal with in their contract negotiations and im sure they were different than Mesaba's. All in all collective bargaining can be constructive if you have a unified front, clear message of objectives and open and honest communications. These are things that both sides of the negotiating table need to improve upon. The economy is turning around so maybe good times are ahead of us and ALL regional careers and pilots can enjoy improved contracts when their respective contracts come up for renewal.

When your MEC and NC are caught off guard with a lil too much confidence by the world's most hated CEO ... you kill Freedom and look to the future. If anyone is still naive enough to think we signed that POS in order to grow then you are sadly mistaken.

In 2007 we will be a might tighter and stronger pilot group. This crap will not happen again.

Latest resources

Back