Mesa Fired !!!!!!! ??????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HughBeamont said:
Yet another podunk airport manager who thinks you should be able to fly from the middle of nowhere to anywhere starting on an RJ for $159. Now the poor hicks have to start in a turboprop for $169. On my next four day stretch off, I'll jumpseat to Northwest CO with my violin.

Perhaps, but Steamboat Springs is a HUGE seasonal destination. I don't blame them for being pissed that RJ service got cut back to Mesa turboprops. Aside from losing a bunch of seats, they ended up with worse service and schedule consistancy.

If AA can fly 757s from ORD during the resort season, it seems like UAL probably could handle some CRJs. Even NWA has regional jet and DC9 service in the winter time. (or at least they used to)

Flyerjosh said:
Aside from losing a bunch of seats, they ended up with worse service and schedule consistancy.

Speaking of worse turboprop service, here at Colgan we make our living picking up scrap routes that nobody else can make a buck on using 50 seat RJs. The problem is that we are flying aircraft that are 15 years old, and they break more often than newer aircraft. And though some of our maintenance problems are self-inflicted, most are not.

Here are some questions I have:
- Any other transport category turboprops other than the Q400 currently in production?
- Will anyone build a 34 seat turboprop again when all the Dashes and Saabs fall apart?
- What will happen to service to small airports without crash/fire rescue when the Beech 1900 falls apart (more than it already is)?

HughBeamont said:
Speaking of worse turboprop service, here at Colgan we make our living picking up scrap routes that nobody else can make a buck on using 50 seat RJs. The problem is that we are flying aircraft that are 15 years old, and they break more often than newer aircraft. And though some of our maintenance problems are self-inflicted, most are not.

Here are some questions I have:
- Any other transport category turboprops other than the Q400 currently in production?
- Will anyone build a 34 seat turboprop again when all the Dashes and Saabs fall apart?
- What will happen to service to small airports without crash/fire rescue when the Beech 1900 falls apart (more than it already is)?

hey Beavis, uhh huh huh huh, is that you? Where you based at now?

HughBeamont said:
Yet another podunk airport manager who thinks you should be able to fly from the middle of nowhere to anywhere starting on an RJ for $159. Now the poor hicks have to start in a turboprop for $169. On my next four day stretch off, I'll jumpseat to Northwest CO with my violin.

As I remember, the CRJ200 can't legally go into Yampa Valley (and definitely not Steamboat Springs) because it's approach speed is Cat D and Cat D is N/A there. Not having slats and the resultant required speeds get you Cat D.

So that's why there's no RJ's in there with the Bae-146 almost totally gone (Aspen till mid April). At least big blue has put the 737 to task there. Skywest does have quite a few CRJ700's now, sign them up (slats included). (c;

Crossky said:
As I remember, the CRJ200 can't legally go into Yampa Valley (and definitely not Steamboat Springs) because it's approach speed is Cat D and Cat D is N/A there. Not having slats and the resultant required speeds get you Cat D.

quote]

Maybe so, but I flew on a America West Express (Mesa?) CRJ200 back in 1999 out of HDN to PHX. I guess the FAA made Cat D N/A after that time.

Incidentally, the only a/c authorized to fly 121 into SBS airport (elev. 6870, ldng. distance available 3800') is/was the DASH-7. Continental Express used to fly that route from Stapleton back in the day, then pulled out after they closed shop in Denver. A start up airline (Maverick) bought one of those 7's about 8-10 years ago and managed to fly the route for about 4-5 months before $$$ became an issue. At least the city council in Steamboat was able to justify the $3.5 million terminal they had built at the Steamboat STOLport for the COEX flights that were promised for so many years (Ooops). Also a MLS was being installed at the airport, and flight tested, but never commissioned. Now about 10% of the terminal building is used for the FBO (great place to take your single or small twin in the summer), and the other 90% is leased by SmartWool for their corp. HQ.

Beware of the Yampa Valley curse when you go there. It's a mezmerizing place.

HughBeamont said:
Hey Mercyful Fate, what's King Diamond up to these days anyway? GRANDMAAAAAAAAAA! WELCOME HOME!

Well Hugh, you just made the top of the list of the coolest guy on here. Anyone who knows that kind of information is OK in my book!!!!

For your information, Grandma is hanging out with Abigail with the ghosts of LOA house....

Crossky said:

So that's why there's no RJ's in there with the Bae-146 almost totally gone (Aspen till mid April). At least big blue has put the 737 to task there. Skywest does have quite a few CRJ700's now, sign them up (slats included). (c;

I flew a CRJ into Haden once for AWAC. VFR of course.

Then we stopped. Hmmmmm....

I had only been there once before in the DO-328 (prop). Seemed we got things done up there in the high country. Oh well.

30West said:
hey Beavis, uhh huh huh huh, is that you? Where you based at now?

Your profile suggests similar abuse to what I currently encounter. Have you ever said, "Don't do that on your Fed ride"?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back