Mesa Continues to Disintegrate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steveair

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/12/AR2007081201137.html

Commuter Jet Lands at Dulles. Well, Most of It.

By Mariana Minaya
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 13, 2007; Page B01
Aliens. They're here! thought Hilary Loewenstein when she spotted a strange metal object just off the path where she was speed-walking with her two dogs. It looked like a scrap of a spaceship, she said. Maybe aliens had landed in Maryland, she joked to herself.
The 25-pound hunk did fall from the sky, landing in a popular park in Boyds. But it wasn't a remnant of a UFO. It was a piece sent flying from a commuter jet headed to Dulles International Airport. No one was hurt, and the plane landed safely.

Jade, 9, and Logan, 6, pose with the commuter jet landing-gear door their mother, Hilary Loewenstein, found in South Germantown Recreational Park in Boyds. (By Kevin Loewenstein)

GR2007081300039.gif

"We were all very lucky," said Loewenstein, 39, who made the discovery Saturday. "It's so amazing that this piece of airplane didn't fall onto the zillions of houses right behind it."
Authorities said yesterday that the piece came from United Express Flight 7350, bound for Dulles from Hartford, Conn. The Canadair Regional Jet 700, carrying 64 passengers and four crew members, had apparently shed the small door that recedes when the wheels emerge before landing at Dulles about 11:42 a.m., airline officials said.
"The landing gear door is not necessary to land the plane, because it needs to retract," United Airlines spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said. "Customers on the flight were always safe."
A spokesman for Mesa Air Group, which operated the flight for United, declined to comment yesterday other than to say an investigation is ongoing. The Federal Aviation Administration will pick up the piece from police today and try to figure out "why it fell off or what the problem was," FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said.
"Various things fall off airplanes from time to time, but it's fairly unusual to have one of these landing-gear doors fall off," Brown said. "Airplanes are designed not to shed parts."
But this one did, and it landed in a grassy area between houses and soccer fields that often are full of dozens of children playing at South Germantown Recreational Park.
Loewenstein had been on the path around the park's perimeter just before noon Saturday when she spotted a glimmer of metal about 10 feet away. At first she thought it was a lawn chair. Then more exciting prospects came to mind.
"I really thought it was a spaceship, honest to God," she said, perhaps exaggerating just a bit. "I was like, 'Oh my God! I saw aliens! Aliens are here!' And I thought, 'How exciting!' "
She dashed to her house about a quarter mile away to tell her husband, Kevin. His interest piqued, Kevin, 38, got out of the shower and grabbed daughter Jade, 9, and son, Logan, 6.
"We hopped on our bikes, and right where she said it was there was a piece of a plane," Kevin said.
It was about 3 feet by 3 feet, he said, with an 18-inch part sticking up that had thick black bristles. A tag on the piece had information about the maker (Bombardier), a model number and the date Aug. 28, 2002. Clearly this was not a product from Mars.
"I took a quick look around to make sure it wasn't a piece of a big wreck," Kevin Loewenstein said. "There was remarkably little damage from the fall. Because it was a flat piece, it probably fluttered to Earth. It must have had a pretty soft landing.

Jade, 9, and Logan, 6, pose with the commuter jet landing-gear door their mother, Hilary Loewenstein, found in South Germantown Recreational Park in Boyds. (By Kevin Loewenstein)

GR2007081300039.gif

"The weird thing is no one saw it," he said, noting that the park is usually crowded with kids.
He stayed with the piece and snapped some pictures until a Montgomery County Park Police officer and a manager arrived.
They had "figured I'd found a wing or wreck of model airplane, and I said, 'I know what I'm looking at! I wouldn't have called you for that,' " he said. "They were very surprised, as I was."
After looking into it, park officials unraveled the mystery.
Although her UFO fantasy didn't pan out, Hilary Loewenstein said she wasn't all that disappointed.
"We were very excited to find something like that in the town of Boyds, where nothing ever happens," she said.

You think the Mesa airplanes are crap...you should see the cars that the Mesa pilots drive!

This is the third time something had fallen off an Mesa airplane within 1 years time,

1) the whole engine fell off over Denver

2) cowling of the engine broke off over Michigan

3) now the landing gear doors

Down right scary!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I blame Mesa first, but the crj700 main gear doors are known for fatigue and need to be routinely inspected- or just removed and then add a CDL. A minor CDL item could have prevented a million dollar lawsuit. Luck eventually runs out.

You think the Mesa airplanes are crap...you should see the cars that the Mesa pilots drive!
Hey now - my 1992 Acura Vigor is a babe MAGNET.... :pimp:

Mesa and Freedom Both Receive FAA's Diamond Certificate of Excellence Awards PHOENIX, Aug 02, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Mesa Air Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MESA) Mesa Airlines and Freedom Airlines, both subsidiaries of Mesa Air Group, Inc., of Phoenix, Arizona have received the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Diamond Certificate of Excellence Award for meeting training goals set by the FAA. (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990210/LAW065)
"We are delighted to once again receive these prestigious FAA awards which recognize the high standard of training given to our maintenance personnel," said Mesa Air Group Chairman and CEO, Jonathan Ornstein. "I would like to congratulate all our mechanics who received individual awards this year and also thank everyone in the Maintenance team who continue to do an outstanding job of maintaining our large fleet of aircraft throughout the country."
On an annual basis, the FAA awards individual Aircraft Maintenance Technicians (AMT's) for meeting training goals based on hours of training received. The company employing these technicians is awarded based on the number of technicians that receive an individual award. The Diamond award is received by the company when 50% of the AMT's have received an individual award.
For the award year of 2007, the FAA has increased the company award requirements. Now, 100% of the AMT's will need to obtain an individual award in order for the company to receive the coveted Diamond Certificate of Excellence.
"Receiving the Diamond Certificate of Excellence demonstrates Mesa Air Group's commitment to technical training which helps maintain the high level of safety and reliability in our fleet of aircraft," said Allen McReynolds, Mesa's Senior Vice President Technical Operations and Engineering.
This marks the 7th consecutive annual award for Mesa Airlines and the 5th for Freedom Airlines.
Freedom Airlines operates as a Delta Connection carrier. Mesa Airlines operates as US Airways Express and United Express and independently as Mesa Airlines in the southwest and as go! in Hawaii.
Mesa currently operates 200 aircraft with over 1,300 daily system departures to 181 cities, 46 states, the District of Columbia, Canada, the Bahamas and Mexico. Mesa operates as Delta Connection, US Airways Express and United Express under contractual agreements with Delta Air Lines, US Airways and United Airlines, respectively, and independently as Mesa Airlines and go!. In June 2006 Mesa launched inter-island Hawaiian service as go!. This operation links Honolulu to the neighbor island airports of Hilo, Kahului, Kona and Lihue. The Company, founded by Larry and Janie Risley in New Mexico in 1982, has approximately 5,000 employees. Mesa is a member of the Regional Airline Association and Regional Aviation Partners.
SOURCE Mesa Air Group

Latest resources

Back