Mesa - base/aircraft transfers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EMB_driver2002 said:
The campout thing is probably referring to the all nighter LAS flying where the aircraft is your home during your 0230 to 0530 break between flights

If a new hire FO gets the CRJ they can bid PHX, but its realtively senior in comparison to ORD or IAD, and seems to be shrinking. IAH is a possibility if you want to avoid the east. I think new FO's can hold that within a few months.

Who knows about F8 - its a new rumor every week.

Thank you.

"campouts"

Nancy Pryor said:
I've read this three times and I still don't know what you're talking about. It's definitely written in English and although each word makes sense by itself your sentence is nonsensical and reads like it was written by an idiot. Maybe you're just drunk or forgot your medication today. Care to explain it to the rest of us?
Mesa has a nasty habit of creating what we call "camping trips". Maybe some other airlines do this, but most pilot contracts would eliminate this - ours does not.

I will show you an example from our up and coming bid packet (0602 PHX CRJ)

Trip pairing X5558 is a CRJ 200 trip.

Thursday show at 1640 local in PHX - deadhead to MRY - then fly to LAS then back to MRY. Scheduled duty off in MRY is 0142 Local (Friday morn). Head to the Marriot for 17 hours and 53 minutes of rest.

Friday evening show at 1935 local in MRY. Fly to LAS then SAT. Scheduled to arrive in SAT at 0327 local (very early Saturday morn). So now you head to the back of the plane, sofa in ops (if available), or comfy place inside the airport (take your choice) to take a nap. That is assuming that you weren't so late that you don't have time for a nap. Anyway, your scheduled ground time is 2 hours and 38 minutes (less than 4 hours - if it was more than 4 company would have to get a hotel room). At 0605 local you fly to PHX where you duty off at 0746 local. And this is not as bad as some others.

They are called "camping trips" because at least one night you are on continuous duty and if you have time to sleep you will do it in the plane. I avoid them like the plague, but the junior guys will get their share.

SpacemanSpiff said:
Mesa has a nasty habit of creating what we call "camping trips".

They are called "camping trips" because at least one night you are on continuous duty and if you have time to sleep you will do it in the plane. I avoid them like the plague, but the junior guys will get their share.

Thanks for the info Spaceman. Sheeit, I'd heard that the Mesa change from Part 135 ops to Part 121 ops some years ago had eliminated these continuous duty overnights. I wonder what the pax would have to say if they knew that their flight crew had slept for only 3 hours jammed into an airline seat like a pretzel.

Is Mesa the only regional that does this, or do others do it too? Come on, 'fess up y'all.

most have CDs, but a decent contract forces the company to get you a hotel near the airport, and limits the crew to the leg out at night and a max of two legs in the morning.

Those Mesa trips are not CDO's. www.ebay.com sells some nice Tents.
I use to do a CDO at Corpex all the time. Example

20:52 (STL local) for a 21:52 departure to UIN. You land at 22:40.
Show the next morning at 0500. Fly to back to STL then you're done.
Sometimes would do a EVV turn. But, you were still off by noon.

we do CDOs at AE, however, I believe they are limited to one leg out and one leg back...not a bad deal if you just want to fly the min hours for the month or to pick up on your last two days of reserve and get released early in the AM on your last day. no camping trips for us...we are "on duty" at XXX hotel.

I would bid them if we had them on the E170. I'm pretty sure there are some on the E145/E135. Great if you live in or near your base.

Mesa has normal standups (in a hotel) just like everyone else. These "camping" trips are different and are caused by the crazy night flying done out of LAS. I mean, does anyone else's airline have scheduled flights that are SCHEDULED to arrive at 3 or 4 am? The "camping" trips only happen in the PHX system because of the late night LAS flying. -Bean

Latest resources

Back