Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mental math calculations in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RM7599

I was just curious as to what kind of mental math calculations are performed in the cockpits of the airlines.....regional and major. Just how difficult are they, and do you have to be a math wizard to perform them. Also, does the FMS system take a lot of the math work out of it. What is the most difficult calculation that must be performed in ones head? Any examples would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mental math

A couple we used at FSI in our Alitalia program: Point at which to begin decent, multiplying altitude times 3.

Same point to begin a non-precision approach using a three-degree glide. Example: If your minimum altitude on the intermediate segment of the approach is 1000 feet you begin your decent three miles out. Alitalia's philosophy was to fly ALL approaches with a three-degree glideslope because chopping and dropping and holding altitude in a DC-9 wasted fuel.

Vertical velocity to hold the 3-degree glide: Divide ground speed by two or multiply it times five. E.g., 100 kts = 500 fpm. You would know the pitch, power and trim settings you needed to achieve that performance. Worked like a charm!

PS-Set it up on your whiz wheel. Put the 30 over the 60 index, look for your 100 kts on the bottom scale, and look up to see 50, representing 500. I realize that it is not "mental" math, but it's easy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually have that book, but most people I talk to say that most of what is in that book is rarely used. Obviously the enroute descents and a few others are used but how often do you actually use fuel dump......and a few other like that.

Wait a second...that there flying stuff involves math? I thought you just drove the dern thing like a car! I can only count so high, you know.

;)

If you can multiply by 3 for your 3 to 1 ratios in figuring descent points or crossing restrictions, that's all you'll probably ever use. Don't think for a minute that the FMS makes things any easier... you still have to back it up to make sure its doing what its supposed to... so now you're doing twice the work! The next time someone pulls out a whiz-wheel... :mad:

Not actually DURING flying but i use mental math for converting pounds to gallons to order fuel.

Take the pounds, drop the last digit and set that number aside in your head. Then split that number in half and and add the 2 up. Its within a couple gallons.

Example:

2000 lbs

Drop zero- 200

200/ 2= 100

200+100=300

300 gallons is equal to 2000 pounds

As a proof of concept 300 gallons times 6.7 (average spec. gravity for jet-a) equals 2010 lbs.

I forgot to mention- In most airplanes with single point refueling you dont really need to use that calculation. The fueling control panel shuts it off automatically at the set pounds.

Still calculate pounds to gallons from time to time even with the widebodies, but not the way you to it. 1.5 x pounds = gallons at 6.7/gallon.

And don't forget the easy way to convert degrees C to degrees F:

((Celsius temp X 2) - 5%) + 32.

For example, 20 C converted to degrees F is:

20 x 2 = 40

40 - 5%, in this case 40 - 4 = 36

36 + 32 = 68 degrees F.

This impresses the heck out of your passengers (or boxes, as the case may be...)

Or, you can just make it up as you do your PA...

That's the best way, except that you subtract 10%, not 5, which, incidentally, you did in your problem (5% of 40 is 2, not 4). Works with negative temps too, just keep in mind that your "subtraction" in this case is going the other way.

-40C x 2 = -80, -(|80|-8)= -72, -72 +32= -40F

Latest resources

Back