MEI's...look here!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BushwickBill said:
Seriously he just came by the school looking for me so he could by me lunch. Terrible. I'm the first intructor to give him any respect.

You sound like a good instructor. Enjoy the lunches.
:beer:

TransMach said:
Mates,

For all you guys who believe there's only one way to do it, the way you did, here's a short story.

In 1985 I was asked to meet a guy who owned a couple of King Airs and wanted to get his Private, Airplane Multi-Engine Land class rating and Instrument-Airplane rating in a BE200. Another friend gave me the, then current, FlightSafety Pilot Training Manual for the airplane.

I spent about 3 days in the manual and gave the guy his first lesson. Over a 4 month period I got him through the Private and Instrument-Airplane (we flew nearly every day, Monday through Friday) and he passed his ride.

I ended up as a Learjet/Falcon 20 captain there. Today he flies his Falcon 10 around with less than stellar first officers.

It can be done, in fact, it's done over and over again.

Cheers,

TransMach

Its not that I don't belive you. It's just that I can't belive the insurance company would agree to it. Cool story though. I'm not sure if you could get away with it now.

BushwickBill said:
Funny story. I just had a guy call me and he wanted to get his private. Nothing unusual so far. I brought up our clubs fine aircraft. He said he had his own. Still not out of the ordinary. "So whatchya got?" A Baron. Uh a 55 or a 58? 55. dang dude how did you wind up with that aircraft?

He didn't tell me at first but we brought the a/c back up from so-cal and I learned a lot about his prior flight training experiences out of CNO. To make a long story short his instructor logged a bunch of Baron time didn't sign his students logbook and left for the airlines. Granted I got one side of the story but not exactly top notch advice from a CFI. I know why the CFI didn't clue his student in but I felt bad for the guy. He got ripped of by a lot of people.

I told him we would continue his training in a C-172. I could easily log 50 hours in his Baron and move on to skywest or something but hell no, I'm not a jerk. He isn't going to solo or get training in the thing because his insurance wont allow it.

No matter what the whole thing was a bad idea. It will continue to be until he sells it and with todays fuel prices he's going to loose even more on this deal. He could have bought himself a C-172 got his private and moved on from there. Now hes stuck with a gas hog he cant even log time in.

If you know someone who is thinking about going down this road discourage them from it. You may make a lifelong friend who will wind up with an VLJ. You never know.

I will trade that guy straight across for my 1976 150M?

LSU Fan said:
Got asked about this on my MEI ride. You don't have to solo him in a twin for an initial private multi. 61.109(b)(1-4) specifically state that those things have to be in a multi. 61.109(b)(5) which addresses the solo portion says it has to be "in an airplane." So you can solo him in a 172 after you comply with all of the presolo training in a 172. Then switch to the duchess after.

I gotta read the regs closer! I agree, and my previous post is incorrect. No solo in a twin necessary for a initial private in a twin. Thanks!

Kream926 said:
i was thinking the same

Ya...in all respect to this guy...it's just a first impression.

I honestly haven't sat down with him to talk to him about it, but when I gave him the advice of getting a private single FIRST then adding the multi, he was pretty clear that he wanted his multi and not a single.

I guess that's where I get the "more money than brains" thing from...but if money isn't an object, I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess I'm gonna have to schedule him a discovery flight and see where we can go from there.

Thanks for the info on the solo stuff guys!

-mini

Latest resources

Back