MEI's...look here!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

Any of ya ever actually SOLO a student in a twin?

I got a call from a guy with more money than brains that wants to do everything in a twin...I know I can do the "time spent performing duties of PIC" thing with him...but I was wondering if anyone out there EVER solo'd a student in a twin (Duchess...if that helps).

Thanks!

-mini

minitour said:
Any of ya ever actually SOLO a student in a twin?

I got a call from a guy with more money than brains that wants to do everything in a twin...I know I can do the "time spent performing duties of PIC" thing with him...but I was wondering if anyone out there EVER solo'd a student in a twin (Duchess...if that helps).

Thanks!

-mini

It's legal from a FAA standpoint. However, insurance companies almost always prohibit it. Also "time spent performing duties of PIC" applies only to an airship rating (Part 61.51(d) - Logging solo flight time). You will have to solo him (without you in the airplane) to complete the requirements of part 61.109(b)(5).

Last edited:
I knew a guy that bought a 310 without any flight time. He wanted to learn to fly in it and it didn't go so well and he ended up selling it. I used to get nervous watching people solo in a 172 nevermind a twin. On the other hand multi time is hard to come by when you're flight instructing so take as much as you can get who cares if he ever solos.

Its his money to burn. I'd advise him against it but if he insists and its legal to do . . . Once (if ever) he is ready to solo make sure all the t's are crossed and i's dotted on the insurance. Cross that bridge when (if) you get to it. You may go fly 10 hours with him and he'll figure out its too hard. I've know students who had a very hard time learning to fly, even with very a very good CFI. They didn't really care what it cost or how long it took them to solo. Good luck.

CJCCapt said:
It's legal from a FAA standpoint. However, insurance companies almost always prohibit it. Also "time spent performing duties of PIC" applies only to an airship rating (Part 61.51(d) - Logging solo flight time). You will have to solo him (without you in the airplane) to complete the requirements of part 61.109(b)(5).

You sure?

ah...yep...there 'tis...I was seeing the Commercial requirements.

So...if he's a private pilot single engine...I can sit with him and do the "performing duties of PIC" for an initial commercial multi but not a private multi....makes perfect sense.

-mini

Insurance companies aside, I wouldn't have a problem soloing a guy in the twin - especially if it was his primary trainer and had done all his training in it. Just don't expect me to solo him at 15 hours! Before I'd sign him off to solo, he'd be the fastest, spring-loaded, ready for an engine to fail, pilot on the planet. That's all I'd really worry about soloing someone in a twin. The speed and performance isn't that much more of a difference then a normal trainer.

Ultimately, YOUR the CFI, and YOU dictate when the student solos. When he's truly ready, and your satisfied, it shouldn't be an issue in your mind whether or not its a twin or single - he'll be ready!

... I got a call from a guy with more money than brains that wants to do everything in a twin ...

Run! Run like the wind! You don't want your name in this guy's logbook.

minitour said:
You sure?

ah...yep...there 'tis...I was seeing the Commercial requirements.

So...if he's a private pilot single engine...I can sit with him and do the "performing duties of PIC" for an initial commercial multi but not a private multi....makes perfect sense.

-mini

:) The reason it's in the regs for the commercial is because the FAA does knows that insurance companies make it difficult for pilots to solo in multi engine aicraft until they are rated. So to help with that, the FAA added the "performing duties" language to the commercial requirements...but not the private. The FAA really doesn't want you getting the multi rating until you have more experience. This holds throughout traditional part 61 and 141 training. For example, you can get any of the CFI certificates/ratings first - CFI or CFII or MEI. However, just try and go down to your neighborhood FSDO for an initial MEI (ie, before you do your CFI and/or CFII). It'll be one heck of a checkride! That said, I'm sure someone has done it...

Last edited:
CJCCapt said:
:) The reason it's in the regs for the commercial is because the FAA does knows that insurance companies make it difficult for pilots to solo in multi engine aicraft until they are rated. So to help with that, the FAA added the "performing duties" language to the commercial requirements...but not the private. The FAA really doesn't want you getting the multi rating until you have more experience. This holds throughout traditional part 61 and 141 training. For example, you can get any of the CFI certificates/ratings first - CFI or CFII or MEI. However, just try and go down to your neighborhood FSDO for an initial MEI (ie, before you do your CFI and/or CFII). It'll be one heck of a checkride! That said, I'm sure someone has done it...

If you do the CFI program at ATP your initial CFI is your MEI. I've heard its no harder than any other CFI program FWIW.

cougar6903 said:
If you do the CFI program at ATP your initial CFI is your MEI. I've heard its no harder than any other CFI program FWIW.

As I said, there is always an exception. And I can believe it with All ATP with their multi flight training program. Do you know if the Jacksonville, FL school stills sends their CFI students to Miami to avoid FSDO 15 (Orlando)?

Latest resources

Back