Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: MEI as initial CFI

bobbysamd said:

I've heard of people who combine the MEI with CFI-I during the initial practical. It's a lot of work but can be done.

Has anyone here done this? My plan is to do my MEI first, mainly because the place I'm training doesn't have a complex single, but was considering doing something like this as well. Someone mentioned that it'd make for a looooong day with the FAA, but it seems to make sense to me if the FSDO will allow it.

bigD, if you re-read my earlier post, I did my ratings in this order: MEI, CFII, and CFI. My flight school was also in the situation that yours is where they didn't have a complex single at the time, and this was an alternate route to do it - as well as the other benefits I mentioned.

As for being in for a looong day with the FAA. My initial checkride was the MEI, and I spent maybe two hours tops on the oral portion, and then of course the usual 1.5 flight.

One advantage of starting with the MEI is, frankly, theres not a whole lot you can teach about the MEI. Outisde of Vmc, Aircraft Systems, and teaching a maneuver, theres not much more you can stretch out the checkride with. However, you get credit for all the Areas of Operations you did, therefore when you go to your next instructor ride, you wont have to cover those areas again (examiner discretion) which will only make your life easier. Then as you get to the final one, you have two areas of operations at the most that you'll have to cover.

User997 said:
bigD, if you re-read my earlier post, I did my ratings in this order: MEI, CFII, and CFI.

Hehehe - if you re-read my earlier post (including the quote of Bobby's earlier post), I meant has anyone combined the MEI and CFII ride into one checkride? :p

Sorry about that bigD, looks like I misunderstood too!

I'm curious about who's combined the MEI and CFII also, I think I would've preferred that route if I had to do it all over again.

Latest resources

Back