MEI, then CFII, then CFI???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

I just found out that All ATPs has a 14 day CFI/CFII/MEI program but students take their MEI checkride first, then CFII then CFI.

I was told it is MUCH easier that way. How does that work? Can someone explain this briefly?

Ask yourself if quicker will make you a safer, better CFI.

Or if it will just get you the ratings to get a job with a guy that will accidentally try and kill you and you won't have had enough training to react properly.

Can't help you there, I'm better at smarmy responses. ;)

I'd suggest it has some relevence to the multi engine commercial being easier than the single engine, but I'm guessing.

MEI, then CFII, then CFI

Vik said:
I just found out that All ATPs has a 14 day CFI/CFII/MEI program but students take their MEI checkride first, then CFII then CFI.

I was told it is MUCH easier that way. How does that work? Can someone explain this briefly?
Sure. You get your initial Commercial-Instrument in the multi. You will have prepared thoroughly for both orals, so the knowledge should be fresh as you jump in the right seat of the multi to work on your MEI and CFI-I. You earn your initial CFI, in the multi, as an MEI or CFI-I, and add the other.

Some people earn both ratings in one practical. It's not as improbable as it sounds if you think about it, if you compare it to earning your Commercial-Instrument in the multi. This is very typical at Riddle and other schools. After that, you bone up on the Commercial maneuvers and earn your Commercial Single and CFI-A in a simple single.

I think it's a great plan because you maximize the value of expensive multiengine training time. Just be sure the quality of instruction is good.

I know a guy that did this sort of thing. It was by himself (pt. 61). He took each check ride with the same guy and in the same week. The examiner ask everything that he wanted to know in the first two so the CFI oral took 15 min.

I just recently completed my CFII, MEI, and CFI in that order.

At first, I was skeptical of the reasoning behind it, but after going thru the training in that way, it certainly has its advantages. The biggest reason I hear schools do this is because it make sthe CFI ride much shorter and easier. By doing the MEI and CFII first, as you go thru each checkride, your checking off parts of the PTS Objectives, that won't have to be covered in the next ride. So by the time you get to the CFI ride, you only have one maybe two Areas of Operations to cover. Some might say that this isn't a great way of doing it, and the CFI should be the hardest, but at the end of the day, regardless of how many Areas of Operations you have to cover, you HAVE to know the stuff to pass the ride!

The way I see it is as long as you plan on getting all three certificates prior to actually teaching, there is no harm in it like was earlier posted. Now if you were going to start out by getting your MEI, or just your CFII and then teach fora while as you build the other ones, I wouldn't recommend taht for the reasons also posted earlier. You'd be setting yourself up for possible disaster.

But if you do them all at once, theres no real reason to do them in any one order, you still have to learn ALL the information for EVER certificate, and it's then the examiners job to see your fit to be an instructor!

So say you do your MEI first, does that mean since it is your initial-instructor rating, you still have a very very long checkride (full day) except when you need to teach a lesson, it will be a multi lesson vs. primary training/single engine but all of the other information will be exactly the same. So you need to prepare MEI lesson plans instead?

The way that I think my friend did his was a commercial multi-engine type of ride. no ground reference and the like.... he felt as though his rides were all easier the way that he did them.... Not sure if it's the way that the system was designed but he is a safe pilot and good instructor. eh..:eek:

MEI as initial CFI

Vik said:
So say you do your MEI first, does that mean since it is your initial-instructor rating, you still have a very very long checkride (full day) except when you need to teach a lesson, it will be a multi lesson vs. primary training/single engine but all of the other information will be exactly the same. So you need to prepare MEI lesson plans instead?
Well, yes, because the MEI is the specific instructor rating you're going for on the practical.

Whether the day is long or short will depend on the examiner. Moreover, there are only so many items to be taught for the MEI rating. Far fewer than for CFI-A.

I've heard of people who combine the MEI with CFI-I during the initial practical. It's a lot of work but can be done. Aside from the advantages already discussed, doing so would eliminate one opportunity to be tested on the FOI. Some examiners spring the FOI on add-on applicants, who may be unprepared, thinking that was already covered during their initial practical. There's a little table in the CFI PTS which sets forth the areas of operation to be tested for add-on applicants. I do not believe the table requires retesting on the FOI. It is dirty pool for examiners to do so, but what can you do?

Hope that helps some more.

Latest resources

Back