• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

MEI Question

CougarAviator

Total Time
2000+
Are lesson plans required for the MEI just as the other CFI ratings? or do you only need to prepare a lesson plans for those tasks specific to Multi-engine flying i.e. Systems, performance and limitations, engine inoperative, manauvering with one engine inoperative, and Vmc demonstartion.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited:

flyguy81

Total Time
5000+
i made no lesson plans for the mei....just a glorified multi ride from the right seat

Steveair

Total Time
viper548 said:
lesson plans are only for the initial

...But, they would make you look good in front of the examiner and possibly help with your teaching during the check. They're also good to help you review things / study. From my experience with my MEI students, the hardest thing for most of them is the teaching.

CougarAviator

Total Time
2000+
I appreciate the input, guys.

If anything, I figure I'll prepare some notes specifically for the twin i.e. systems, Vmca, single engine ops etc.

I guess it's always better to over prepare !!!!

Thanks again!!!

Clear Skies!!

Last edited:

ManChild

Total Time
1+
My examiner wanted to see a VMC Demo lesson plan on my MEI ride, but i agree with Steveair, the're a good reference regardless.

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
viper548 said:
lesson plans are only for the initial
No kidding?

Dang, I got two 3" binders, and one 2" binder full of lesson plans for the CFI, CFII, and MEI!!

You mean I did all that work for nothing??

viper548

Total Time
User997 said:
No kidding?

Dang, I got two 3" binders, and one 2" binder full of lesson plans for the CFI, CFII, and MEI!!

You mean I did all that work for nothing??

the examiners didn't want lesson plans on my CFII or MEI rides.

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
viper548 said:
the examiners didn't want lesson plans on my CFII or MEI rides.
I was required to. I had to teach three lessons for my CFII, one lesson for my MEI, and I had to teach a technical subject, and maneuver for my CFI ride.

I'm glad in the end I made these binders too, cause now when I go to teach a ground lesson, I can refer back to them and refresh my memory, and it also gives me a good outline to follow. I don't flight instruct, or even fly VFR, enough to keep a lot of the mountains of information fresh in my head - so the notebooks work well for that purpose!

FlyingFisherman

Total Time
100%
I certainly hope you are not bragging about not having binders. You shouldn't have the attitude of the minimum being acceptable. It's not. You have an obligation to yourself and your student to be as professional as possible and give them the best flight training you have the ability to. Train them better than you were trained. Teach them to fly better than you.

You will find this to be far more rewarding than simply doing the minimum and whining about it all day.

<edit>
That was for flyguy