MEI Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERJ-145mech = Famous Last Words

Hey ERJ guy, your attitude sounds kinda dangerous.

Next time a flight review is due, why not go get your instrument or commerical. This will satisfy your requirements just the same and provide you with a challenge and some new knowledge.

BTW, I bet I could easily keep you busy for an hour of your life up in the air.

My airplane is not equipped for instrument flight, and the cost to do so is prohibitive. I am a fair weather flier, so I will not be able to maintain currency in IFR. My personal minimums are above the FAR VFR minimums, so basically, I won't go when its below them. I don't have to get there that fast. Also, my aircraft is more valuable in a stock configuration, so by adding the avionics needed to make it an instrument platform, I would be de-valuing the aircraft.

A commercial licence without an instrument ticket is also not feasable.

So, what is your experience with Cessna M337B aircraft? The systems are different in this than a civillian 337. Explain to me what you could do that is different from a canned (standard) BFR?

Granted, I've no experience with the Skymaster or its systems in particular, but there's a heck of a lot in the way of airwork, performance T/O and landings and emergency procedures that would surely cover the better part of an hour and then some. Plenty.

You may be familiar with the systems of your particular model but that has little to do with how well you fly the plane and that's what should theoretically be assessed as well during a Flight Review.

How would an avionics upgrade devalue your plane?

A commercial certificate could be had without the IFR rating.

My earlier post was that you could learn something new and satisfy the FR requirement without having to be "bored" by a young inexperienced CFI. Whether you use the IFR rating or not, you'll learn a little more about flying and improve your VFR skills.

Anyway, your claim that an hour is overkill and arbitrarily required is just plain ignorant. Sorry. One hour every 2 years is hardly being overly burdened.

Avbug,
What a great reply. Too bad the wisdom will be lost to those who most need it.

Could this ERJ "mech" just be playing everyone? It just seems too textbook bad attitude, I wonder if it's just a poke at all of us who take ourselves a touch too seriously? I know I do, sometimes.

I say this with two decades as an mechanic, and nearly a decade now as a pilot. There is so much to learn! So many things to research, skills to develop! And none of this equates to being derilect in anything; it's just life. That's the wonder of it all. When you get to the point that you know it all, you've really missed the point.

Good luck to all,

Ronin

My airplane is not equipped for instrument flight, and the cost to do so is prohibitive. I am a fair weather flier, so I will not be able to maintain currency in IFR. My personal minimums are above the FAR VFR minimums, so basically, I won't go when its below them. I don't have to get there that fast. Also, my aircraft is more valuable in a stock configuration, so by adding the avionics needed to make it an instrument platform, I would be de-valuing the aircraft.

So, what is your experience with Cessna M337B aircraft? The systems are different in this than a civillian 337. Explain to me what you could do that is different from a canned (standard) BFR?

I have absolutely no time in a 337. The difference is that I can tell you that I would not sign you off. Why? Because I have 1000+ hours in Metros and 2000+ hours in aircraft with the Garrett TPE 331 powerplant and just two months ago, for the first time, I saw an engine surge due to an EGT failure.

Just because you have 700 hours and think you have seen it all, doesn't mean you have. Wait until you have 2000 hours, then you'll look back and see just how dangerous your attitude is.

This horse is dead and I think he is either a. playing us, or b. a lost cause. Either way - the advice is good, take it or leave it.

A few weeks ago I had the priviledge of flying with one of the highest time MD80 pilots in the world during his last 4 day trip (Boeing gave him a plaque on his last flight...pretty cool) he had over 20,000 (I don't remember exactly) hours in the MD80. I have about 200 hours in the MD80 and I was able to show him something during that last 4 day trip that I had picked up during IOE that he had either not known or more likely - forgotten.

The key was he was receptive to learning something from someone with less than 1% of the MD80 time that he had.

I know it's cliche but some of us need reminding...

there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

I know it's cliche but some of us need reminding...

there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

Every time someone lays out one of these little golden nuggets of wisdom I want to send my certificates back to the FAA and become a ferris wheel operator.

You were doing fine without the cliche! Especially since it didn't apply.

I dig your point, though.

Why, exactly? I flew the first five years of my commercial career without an instrument rating.

There's no such thing as a "canned BFR." Then again, there's no such thing as a BFR.

What could I do differently for you during a flight review?

I'd start with an interview, to see what areas show your strength, and what areas might need work. I'd do a review of basic regulations. I'd ask you what you feel you'd like to work on. Based on your comments here, the field is wide open.

So, who ever told you that a flight review is about teaching you to fly your own airplane? That's apparently an assumption on your part. It's much more than that; it's a review.

What do you know about ditching your aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter? Have a lot of prctical experience in forced landings, survival, etc? Good place to start. Tell me about how to properly put your airplane down in a forest. Something you haven't thought about lately. Thank God you have a flight review coming up.

Not instrument rated? Not a problem. Good time to start doing some work on getting out of inadvertant flight into IMC, good time to work on night illousions, good time to work on a lot of things that you may not do all the time...you seem to think you know it all, nobody can teach you anything. You're right...you sound unteachable.

Don't forget that an instructor who flies with you isn't required to sign your logbook with an entry that shows a succesful completion of a flight review. Don't forget that one hour of ground and one hour of flight is the minimum, and only the minimum.

No regulation exists which prohibits the review from taking all the time that is required.

Latest resources

Back