• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEI Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since I restored the aircraft from two truckloads of component items, I have an intimate knowledge of my aircraft.
I also perform the annual inspections yearly on the bird.
This includes pumping the gear up and down using the hand pump. The engine driven pump is on the front engine. I cage the engine, and pump the gear down, at a safe altitude, periodically, then perform an airstart on the powerplant. The engine is equipped with unfeathering accumulators. The airstart procedure is different with them than without. Would you have known that? I am an expert on my aircraft, and there is no way that an ordinary MEI would have the knowledge and experience on each aircraft that he may park his butt in for an hour every other year.
I can safely say "Been there, done that, got the T shirt".

So what are you going to teach me on a flight review? Remember, this is a review, not an instruction period.

Some individuals may take less time to demonstrate maneuvers on a flight review, some may require more time. What I'm saying that the FAA made an error in making it mandatory to arbitrarily make a flight review to last an hour in the air. This should be at the discretion of the instructor, not a bureaucrat.

What if they arbitrarily told me that I have to spend 20 hours performing an annual on your C-172?

I am an expert on my aircraft, and there is no way that an ordinary MEI would have the knowledge and experience on each aircraft that he may park his butt in for an hour every other year.
Again, if you are so full of yourself that no one can teach, polish, review, update, or simply share experiences with you, no professional will want to waste their time on you.
So what are you going to teach me on a flight review? Remember, this is a review, not an instruction period.
As I posted in an earlier post, it is an instructional period, by regulation. "1 hour each of ground and flight training." It is a dual requirement.

Did you learn anything today?
What I'm saying that the FAA made an error in making it mandatory to arbitrarily make a flight review to last an hour in the air. This should be at the discretion of the instructor, not a bureaucrat.
In spite of your "I know it all" attitude, you are exceptionally well qualified on this particular aircraft, and it is going to be hard to find a seasoned CFI who can actually do some worthwhile training, and I also agree that I usually don't like mandatory numbers for training. But in 99% of the cases, the 1 hour is not overly demanding.

And, it is true that most instructors are young and inexperienced and would be intimidated by personalities like yours.

Which is the only reason why I support this one exception to mandatory time requirements.

Look at the statistics, GA pilots are the worst at not keeping themselves proficient. You may be very skilled and proficient and not need this review as far as normal everyday operations go, but in the larger picture most of us do.

And, Sir, if you are as proficient as you say you are, I would think you could teach a young instructor a thing or two instead of tooling around sight-seing on you Flight Review.

"Pay it forward."

Since I restored the aircraft from two truckloads of component items, I have an intimate knowledge of my aircraft.
I also perform the annual inspections yearly on the bird.
This includes pumping the gear up and down using the hand pump. The engine driven pump is on the front engine. I cage the engine, and pump the gear down, at a safe altitude, periodically, then perform an airstart on the powerplant. The engine is equipped with unfeathering accumulators. The airstart procedure is different with them than without. Would you have known that? I am an expert on my aircraft, and there is no way that an ordinary MEI would have the knowledge and experience on each aircraft that he may park his butt in for an hour every other year.

Some individuals may take less time to demonstrate maneuvers on a flight review, some may require more time. What I'm saying that the FAA made an error in making it mandatory to arbitrarily make a flight review to last an hour in the air. This should be at the discretion of the instructor, not a bureaucrat.

What if they arbitrarily told me that I have to spend 20 hours performing an annual on your C-172?

The minimum is there precisely for pilots like yourself, who feel the rules do not apply to them.

You are not special...you are an accident waiting to happen.

The minimum is there precisely for pilots like yourself, who feel the rules do not apply to them.

You are not special...you are an accident waiting to happen.

OK d1ckweed, you know nothing about me. I am very cautious and my personal minimums are above the regs when it comes to WX. Do you agree that most GA accidents are WX related?

I never said that the rules do not apply, I said that the rules were arbitrarily applied by bureaucrats. Don't read anything into my statement that isn't there. You must be one of those 300 hour wonder CFI's that are Gods gift to aviation?

I have taught lots of things to low time instructors, both about aircraft structures and systems, and Skymaster aircraft operations. Skymasters, like most aircraft have unique characteristics, so there are many times where one technique used on one aircraft is not applicable on another. Many instructors do not know this and do a disservice to the flying public but teaching generalalities. I have seen many pilots that learned garbage from instructors, have gone on to instructing, and teach that same garbage to the student.

And I will close this by saying that it is a "Bi-ennial Flight Review", with review being the key word, not an instructional period. When you endorse the log, do you use the BFR phrase?

Whatever you are, you are operating without a proper flight review.

...but you already knew that, right hero??

Hey A¢e,
That might be your interpertation, but that is also wrong. I get ramp checked every other weekend at airshows by the local FSDO's as a performer. These different inspectors have examined my flight log, and aircraft logs with no discrepancies.
Please explain why geographically seperate FAA offices have found this to be in compliance?

And I may be a "hero" to you, but I like to think of myself as an ordinary aviator. I appreciate the compliment though.

No you may go back to your pathetic instructors lounge and knaw on your popcicle.

"Since I restored the aircraft from two truckloads of component items, I have an intimate knowledge of my aircraft...

I am an expert on my aircraft, and there is no way that an ordinary MEI would have the knowledge and experience on each aircraft that he may park his butt in for an hour every other year...

I can safely say "Been there, done that, got the T shirt"...

So what are you going to teach me on a flight review?

OK d1ckweed, you know nothing about me."

Oh!, I think we know plenty about you. I have to agree that with your stellar attitude (NOT!) you are an accident waiting to happen.

How about the next time you want a flight review you take a good look at yourself and when you talk to the instructor that is going to give you a BFR you ask him to teach you something you don't know. I know it's hard - you know everything right?

A good BFR is shaped for the student (<-yep, that's you) you probably don't need help with systems - but I bet you could cover some non-type specific stuff that maybe - perhaps - you might learn something.

Later

"Since I restored the aircraft from two truckloads of component items, I have an intimate knowledge of my aircraft...

I am an expert on my aircraft, and there is no way that an ordinary MEI would have the knowledge and experience on each aircraft that he may park his butt in for an hour every other year...

I can safely say "Been there, done that, got the T shirt"...

So what are you going to teach me on a flight review?

OK d1ckweed, you know nothing about me."

Oh!, I think we know plenty about you. I have to agree that with your stellar attitude (NOT!) you are an accident waiting to happen.

How about the next time you want a flight review you take a good look at yourself and when you talk to the instructor that is going to give you a BFR you ask him to teach you something you don't know. I know it's hard - you know everything right?

A good BFR is shaped for the student (<-yep, that's you) you probably don't need help with systems - but I bet you could cover some non-type specific stuff that maybe - perhaps - you might learn something.

Later

And so, what could you teach me?

Latest resources

Back