Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
In order to give a BFR in a twin, does the instructor have to be an MEI?

In other words, is the BFR catagory and class specific??

Short answer: No.

61.56 Flight Review 61.56(a) "......consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training......"

61.195(b) "A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class ratings

While administering a Bi-ennial, are you the PIC?
While I understand your point, that the authorized instructor must be rated in the category and class when he is providing the flight training required in 61.56 Flight Review, he does not necessarily have to be PIC, unless the applicant has allowed his Flight Review to expire, and is no longer able to be PIC.

But, as long as the Flight Review applicant is within the 2 year period, and otherwise current, the CFI does not actually have to be the PIC in order to give flight training, or flight reviews. This is the method by which a single engine instructor can do a flight review in a..tailwheel, for example,..without the tailwheel endorsement.

May or may not be good judgement, but it would be legal. If it's not good judgement and an accident occurs, of course, the instructor will still eat it, even though he is not officially the PIC.

Are you people serious....NO!!! you cannot give a Flight review in a ME if you are not an MEI!

1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor;

(2) Authorized instructor means--
(ii) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate...

A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is authorized within the limitations of that person's flight instructor certificate and ratings to give training and endorsements that are required for, and relate to...

And if that's not enough for you...

(b) Aircraft ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating; and
(2) If appropriate, a type rating.

Where is the gray area?

jeez

While administering a Bi-ennial, are you the PIC?

It does not matter who the PIC is in this situation. You are mixing up issues related to the need for a medical with the need to have an MEI. They are not the same.

But on a flight review, I log the time as pilot in command, not dual received.

The only entry made by the instructor is the bi-ennial endorsement in the logbook.

And the hour long flight is about twice the amount of time needed to perform the flight. I usually end up flying around sight seeing after the maneuvers have been demonstrated to get the required time to satisfy the regs.

But on a flight review, I log the time as pilot in command, not dual received.

The only entry made by the instructor is the bi-ennial endorsement in the logbook.

And the hour long flight is about twice the amount of time needed to perform the flight. I usually end up flying around sight seeing after the maneuvers have been demonstrated to get the required time to satisfy the regs.

The regulation requires at least 1 hour ground and one hour flight training by an autrhorized instructor which requires a logbook entry of at least that much time and signed by an authorized instructor.

Of course you may log dual and PIC. But the dual must be logged as well as the Flight Review endorsement.

...and you are only fooling youself to think you can "knock out" this review in 30 minutes.

There is always new stuff to learn....and there is always something to improve on with the old stuff.

Your bragging is not becoming to a professional.

I've been flying this same airplane since 1989, have over 700 hours in it. There is nothing that I have not seen in it.

When is the last time that you intentionally spun a multi engine airplane? Unusual attitudes, not an issue in a 337.

Tell me, why would it take any longer to do a flight review, every flight regieme can be covered? Single engine, short, soft field, full stall series to include accellerated stalls. Anything longer simply pads the instructors wallet. Plain and simple.

I was doing a bfr in the owners aircraft, he had over 5,000 hours of flight in the airplane. When I asked him to show me the emergency procedure for gear extension, things got quiet in the cockpit. How about if the electrical system went on strike? Let's turn off the alternator and battery, navigate back to the station, and put the gear down.

There's always things to work on, things to learn, no matter how long you've had the airplane or how many hours you have been in it. Sounds a little funny to hear someone say they've done it all, seen it all. Didn't that feel funny to say? It should have.

Ronin

Latest resources

Back