Medicare at 55

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

Are there any age 55+ folks on the board who plan to retire if the new health bill offers medicare at 55? I know that is one of the sticking points for those over 60 retiring--no medicare until 62. If medicare is available at 55, I wonder if not only those over 60 will feel free to retire, but maybe even some under 60.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thought, I have heard several grey-beards (if we could have them) speaking of healthcare as being a major reason to stay until 62 or 63...I would plan on retiring at 55 if this goes through. JP

I think there will be a premium associated with early Medicare in this bill, so it may not be the free ride some are hoping for.

Isn't Medicare one of the gov't programs that's been technicly "broke" for several years already?

Are there any age 55+ folks on the board who plan to retire if the new health bill offers medicare at 55? I know that is one of the sticking points for those over 60 retiring--no medicare until 62. If medicare is available at 55, I wonder if not only those over 60 will feel free to retire, but maybe even some under 60.

You can get Social Security at 62 but you cannot get Medicare until 65. However, if you are on Social Security Disability then you can get Medicare.

I believe the new proposal for Medicare at 55 is only for individuals that do not have insurance. If you can get insurance from your employer or retirement you probably won't be able to get Medicare at 55.

This is just what I have read and I am not sure. However, I do not think Medicare at 55 will be open to everybody. It was probably a way for them to take out a Public Option but still have a way to insure people without insurance. At least from 55 to 65.

The Tricare date is more important to ex-military guys.

Medicare at 55, social security at 62 1/2 and keep flying until 65, Priceless!
Junior keep swinging gear!

Reservists are immediately eligible for TriCare when they retire. Recent change.

...looking for the reference that I recently read.

That's good news. Post the reference when you find it.

Latest resources

Back