Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical - What does "It will be issued from OK." mean, and how long?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things are getting stranger and stranger ...

I called the Aeromedical Office in OK and got a live person immediately. When I explained the situation she said that my info came right up, and that there were no red flags or anything unusual in my file. She asked if the AME was merely having trouble transmitting, and said to give him her number if he is.

This completely contradicts what I was told yesterday and again today by the AME and his nurse, that the FAA couldn't find me and that they needed some more paperwork (which I provided this morning).

Something's VERY fishy ... the FAA says I'm all set, but my doc says there's a paperwork problem.

Minh

As the worm turns ...

Just spoke to the AME again, who acted very strange, and let it slip in a round-a-bout way that he called Atlanta instead of OK and in addition to trying to process my medical thru them, he evidently told them that I'd brought an unprocessed medical certificate form in with me, which is a huge NO-NO since 9/11. I had it because the first medical I scheduled two weeks ago at a different AME got all screwed up when I waited for three hours (no exaggeration) and never finished because the Doc got too busy. When I stormed out I just had it in my hand. The nurse made an issue about it Wednesday so I explained why I had it and I gave it too her.

So it seems, I am in the middle of one AME spilling the beans on another AME to the regional AeroMed office for allowing me to get out of his office with the form. So, I may get my medical Monday ... or I may get my medical in two weeks from OK ... or I may have stormtroopers knocking down my door tonight and carrying me to Gitmo with the rest of the terrorists.

Lovely ... just f@cking lovely. :(

Minh

Try being an overweight crop dusters, and a smoker on high blood pressure medicine, and two knee surgeries in the past two years.
The last class-2 took me five months to get. And now, After the way they treated me yesterday, just for asking if I should re-schedule due to a little wheeze after bronchitis, I'm about ready to scream. What the h$ll does having a little cold have to do with taking an exam and 61:53 anyway, Huh? I just want a paper, not fly his Boo.

Anybody know a fat AME that smokes??

chperplt said:
Who was the Dr?? Post his info so we can all stay the hell away!!
No way man, they might blindfold me and have me read outloud on camera "I am fat...I am a terroroist smoker" cut my head off and send the clip to the AOPA.
You may know this guy anyway if you are x-army chperplt trained in the southeast.

Snakum,

Run, do not walk away from that AME. It doesn't matter how innocent the mistake was, it cost you in stress and aggravation, and threatened your flying. The garden-variety doc just does FAA physicals for the easy money and isn't the "expert" he should be when it comes to dealing with the FAA ( it's like handling a poisonous snake...it can be done but you better know what you're doing ). I've heard a number of stories over the years about guys having their careers interrupted for no more reason than a paperwork error from some busy doc's office who just sees pilots as a side issue.

I find virtually no docs who "get it" when it comes to dealing with pilots. Ask around and find a senior AME with a good reputation...preferrably one who doesn't mess with all those sick people who cause three hour sits in the waiting room.

There are docs around who ONLY do FAA physicals. If you were in ATL, I could steer you right. Good luck getting this fixed.

Week two beginning ...

I talked to the FAA today in OK, they said that the medical was submitted to them Friday and hadn't been procesed yet. Friday afternoon the Doc said he might try to submit it to the FAA Monday, since the Atlanta Regional Aeromed people kicked it back over me having an unprocessed form in my hand when I walked in (from the pervious AME who never got around to seeing me). So someone is BS'ing someone. This guy was kinda weird from the start, and made me uncomfortable (though his nurse was nice), and now it appears his making a stink about me having the medical form is going to cost me dearly. I can imagine the FAA will want a noterized statement about how I came into possession of it and God knows what else. Having heard a number of horror stories from his nurse about "her pilots", I am inclined to believe this doctor is a bit of a fukup, because I have NEVER heard this much BS about an AME having this many paperwork problems, and I have never had anything remotely like this happen to me personally.

If anyone you know gets medicals done in the Greensboro NC area, PM for the name of one to steer away from. I will regret not paying the $120 to the old guy downtown for a long time to come, I'm afraid. I was trying to save money and get it done thru Blue Cross. Hard lessons ... hard lessons.

Minh "Grounded" Thong

Last edited:
Snakeum,

If it makes you fell any better, I get an FAA "Sponsored" medical every year because I'm a Controller. Used to be, the Doc handed me a regular 2nd Class certificate before I walked out the door. Some dozen years ago, the FAA told the Docs to stop doing that, and just had them sign a form that basically says I'm OK to work traffic unless the Regional Flight Surgeon says otherwise after reviewing the package. I have to specifically request a 2nd class certificate from the Doc because I'm a pilot.

Now it gets even stranger. The Doc still isn't allowed to give me my medical, (because I'm mildly diabetic I'm told), but the request is noted on the Forms that go to Region. Nevertheless, about 30 or so days after my physical, I *always* have to call Ft. Worth, (which is where the FAA Flight surgeon for controllers' office is) and politely inquire about my flight physical. The sweet lady there always has to look into it for me, (she knows me by name now) and usually has to hand walk my package down to another office, (because the FAA doc who says I'm healthy enough to vector airliners hasn't the authority to say I'm healthy enough to pilot a Skyhawk), and after 45-60 total days, I get a flight physical. Note that since my flight physical is a "Special issuance", it isn't good as a 3rd class during this time, it's completely null and void after a year, so I'm grounded for that time.

Man ... I have a new respect for what you guys who make a living at this have to go thru. I can imagine if you're putting food on the table by flying/controlling, a problem like mine is MUCH more than a pain in the @ss ... it's an unmitigated disaster. I'm just pissed because I can't go up alone, but you guys have to worry about getting a paycheck to make the rent and put food in your kid's mouths.

I'm seriously rethinking this mid-life career change. This thing with the AME has forced me to consider where I'd be if I didn't have a secure (albeit low-paying) job, but rather was instructing and flying part-time charter to for a living. I don't think my nerves could take going thru this once a year if it was my actual vocation. :(

Perhaps it'd better to instruct part-time, fly the bosses around in rented Skyhawks, and hope we get big enough to justify a King Air. :)

Minh

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back