Medical Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do not get 1st class medical

If you do not need a 1st class for your job, do not get a first class medical. The standards are higher and if you fail you fail for all classes until you get a waiver or proof of demonstrated ability. You may be able to pass 2nd, but not first because your heart is healthy, but makes a funny noise on the EKG.. If you don't need a 1st for your job or interview it is only good for bragging rights at the bar.

Pilot yip quote:
"but makes a funny noise on the EKG"

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought EKG's were only required for those over 35?

I would get the 1St class if you plan on doing this for a living. No point in going through the cost and time to train to find out years later when you need a 1st class that you can't get one.

Wrong?

I think there are some peole who read this who are over 35, who are CFI's , 135 charter pilots who don't need a 1st. They should not get one. If you are going for a career where you will exercise the priviledges of an ATP, then you should get a first.

There is no reason to apply for a first class medical certificate. One can do just as well with a second or third class. If one needs to desperately know if one could pass the first class medical exam, then ask the examiner at the time if there would be any problem getting a first. You're there, he's there, case solved.

First class medical certificates are more expensive generally, and are held to a higher standard. The differences in the levels of certification are relatively minor, but there is no reason to obtain the higher level if it won't be used within the 6 month 1st class time period. It's just as easy to ask the AME how one would fare in the application for a first class, and the issue is resolved. If the AME states he would be willing to sign off on a first class, then that's all you really need to now.

If the AME states that further testing or information is necessary, this is a starting point without having to blow a medical and deal with that for the remainder of one's career.

There is nothing that I know of that could possibly keep me from getting a First Class. Thank God, I have no health problems. I don't know of a better time in my life to get screened medically, as I don't think things could get any better than this. I think I will go with the First Class. All of your advice is greatly appreciated. I think I was just overly parnoid about getting this. I also heard that you don't need an EKG until 35. Thanks!

erik-
I think it is a good idea to go ahead and get the first class now and every time thereafter. Like some of the others have said, these medicals are a formality in most cases as long as you are generally in good health. Ask other pilots in your area or at your flight school for which AME they would recommend. Chances are that you will hear one or two names come up quite often. The reason these AMEs are so popular among the local pilots is because they are more than likely a sure bet to get you through the exam in short time and without poking and prodding you or grabbing hold of your good guys. If you are at all concerned about something that might prevent you from getting a medical of any class, see your family physician FIRST as bobbysamd already pointed out.

It sounds like you are in good health. I have a feeling you will be pretty surprised at how simple this "exam" is once you are through it. Remember, ask around to find out who the favorite AMEs are in your area.

When I started out as a student a few years back I went for my 1st class medical just to see if I could pass it. I have 20/200 vision in one eye and 20/100 in the other, and I have a heart murmur. Neither one was an issue and I've had my 1st class medical taken again since then and passed it again.
I didnt get any blood work done at all, just had to pee in teh cup and the doc checked it for drugs. Besides that he checked my eyes, hearing, relflexes, peripheral vision, etc etc. No big deal at all.

Unfair AMEs

Further to Illini's post, also ask around about unfair and unreasonable AMEs. Even if you're Charles Atlas incarnate, you want to stay away from them.

Usually, there's plenty of local pilot lore about the bad doctors. Ask before you make an appointment. Take it from me. I got jobbed one time. Ask here on the board if anyone has heard pro or con about specific AMEs.

Last edited:
The AME isn't checking the urine sample for drugs. The tests run by requirement are for proteinurea and glucose. Sugar and protein.

I did have an AME once who centrifuged the sample and then put it under a microscope, and then refused to issue my medical because of a bladder infection. I was required to undergo treatment , and after two weeks he signed the paperwork and sent it in. He's the only doctor who has ever seen fit to go the extra mile during the exam, too...and I never went back.

"Yes, there's a proceedure to correct my vision, but they have to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man takin' that route with me."

--Walleye, from Hotshots.

Well guys, thanks a lot. I got my First Class yesterday. It all went fine except for when I was carrying my dixie cup full of urine through the halls tring to find my nurse:eek:

Latest resources

Back