Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

Hi everyone.
I'm going to get my medical done and I was wondering what class I should get. Originally, I was planning on getting a first class. Since I want to do this for a living, I might as well see if there is something that might flag me from getting it up front. However, I was thinking, If I WERE to fail a first class, I would just go for a third because even if I couldn't do it for a living, I would still want to fly. If I fail a first class, would I have to come back another day and try for a third class, or how does that work? Money is not entirely an issue, although if I could just get a third class now, I could get a little more flying time in. I'm a healthy 20 year old guy with no known health problems, good vision (no glasses) and good hearing. What should I do?

Go for it.

Go for the first class. I think the only thing that might keep you from getting a first class would be your eyes. I am not sure but I don't think they check much different between all three except your vision. The whole things a joke anyway as far a what they do for you. I mean I just got my first class and you pee in a cup they check your eyes and blood pressure and the Dr fondles you a little bit. Oh yeah and your hearing which is nothing. Not real sure what they are looking for but it's the most thorough exam I ever had. You shouldn't have any problems obtianing a first class.

I would go for the first class if I were you. If you are generally in good health and don't have history of diabetes, psychological problems, or anything else of the sort then you should be fine. I have gotten 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class medicals and I didn't notice one difference in the exams - besides the cost. I have heard other pilots say that it is a good idea to get a first class every time starting with your first one. Their reasoning is that if you should ever develop a problem, the fact that you have always been able to hold a first class medical would help you plead your case.

NONE

I have never had blood drawn for a medical. Don't think they do any bloodwork. Don't worry about it unless you are trying to hide something.

Get the first class. It will take all of 15 minutes. If you don't pass a first class you might have other things to think about besides getting the medical. Don't sweat it. If you're 20 and in shape you will be in and out before you know it with a first class.

I never gave blood. I think they required a urinalisys(sp?) though.

Erik,

Is this your first physical? As in you are a student pilot?

To cut down on your workload (unless you are near a FSDO or know the Pilot Examiner in your area) I would suggest that you get the Student Pilot Certificate & Third Class as your first attempt.

You have a choice in the matter, but the FAA has tried to make it simple. If you just check the Student Pilot Certificate box at the top of the form, you will receive the "buff" colored card that is your medical on one side and your Certificate waiting for the Instructor's endorsement on the other side.

If you check the box for just a Medical Certificate, you will get a white certificate with no other info on it. When you have this certificate, you must then go to a FSDO office or see the nearest DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) who usually has copies of the student certificate. Your CFI does not have these forms since they must be typed by the FAA or the Medical Examiner and you must sign in the presence of one of these delegated officials.

Good luck.

Medicals

I vote with the majority. Get a First. Actually, I've understood that if you fail a physical for any medical, it renders you ineligible for any medical.

They do make you "contribute" in the bathroom and stick some kind of analysis strip in your "contribution," primarily to determine diabetes. You might have to take a vision restriction (not a SODA) if your uncorrected vision does not meet standards. I got a First last December after not having a medical for more than six years. I arrived loaded for bear with all of my records. The AME was not the least bit interested in them; in fact, he promised to ask the FAA to pull my need for a vision SODA from my records. He did issue my medical with a vision correction restriction, which was entirely reasonable.

The truth of the matter is your own M.D. or D.O. likely gives you a far tougher physical than the FAA. The FAA physical is indeed a joke. If you are the least bit concerned, see your own doctor first for a physical. Tell your doctor why you want it. You can do that because your doctor is on your side, as opposed to an AME, who is the FAA's industrial physician, and is not to be trusted with personal health concerns under any circumstances. If you do fine with own doctor, which you probably will, the FAA physical will be no sweat.

Try www.leftseat.com for a decent FAA medical website.

Good luck with your medical.

PS-As Tarp stated, you need to get a combination medical and student pilot certificate from the AME.

Last edited:
If you fail a medical exam for the first class, you can't simply be issued a third class. Once you've failed the exam or are determine to require further testing, it's remanded to Oklahoma City for further action. At that point, it can get expensive and all bets are off.

If you have any conditions that you believe would make you inelligible for any class of medical certificate, look into this before visiting the medical examiner. A failed exam causes a report to be generated and sent to the FAA, no matter what. You can't simply go in and fail a test, and walk away. The FAA gets a report of a satisfactory physical exam, or an unsatisfactory exam; they get one or the other.

Bobbyamsand suggested going to Leftseat.com. This is a good idea if you have any doubts about the medical. They specialize in dealing with problems concerning the medical, and can probably help you. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back