Medical question-no one reads the other forum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyguy40

Sorry guy’s, no one reads the medical forum so I am asking in here. I am just starting to wear glasses that have bifocals but I don't like them. Is anyone wearing or know someone who is wearing the bifocal contact lenses and flying 121? Just wondering if they would be an option. I have found out through the FAA that they are approved but I just wonder if they are all I hope they will be. :)
Thanks
David

The "bifocal" contact lenses, from what I understand are not that. What u do is wear a distance vision contact in one eye and a near vision one in the other. I understand that they take some getting used to. Also check your company's ops specs...for example, at my carrier their use by pilots is prohibited.

I found when I needed to start wearing bifocals that the "no-line" bifocals wouldn't work on the flight deck. (Some brands are better than others, so don't give up right away.) So I wore a pair of old-fashioned "lined" bifocals while working. However, these didn't seem to work well at night, so once the paper work was done, then I switched to my single vision lenses for flt. A pain, but it worked and we do what we can to see to get the job done.

Finally, 3yrs ago, while updating my prescription, I was talked into trying Veralux (brand) DTS no-line bifocals. Very pricey, but the best decision I ever made. I can use them thru all phases of flight, day or night. Probably the best pair of lenses I've owned in years.

So don't give up. Try other lenses. Work with a reputable optometrist that understands your work and has a generous return policy for lenses that don't work. Good luck. The switch to having to start wearing bifocals is a pain...but doable.

Last edited:
Yes the have bifocal contacts! If you are use to contacts you should have no problem getting use to them.

The "bifocal" contact lenses, from what I understand are not that. What u do is wear a distance vision contact in one eye and a near vision one in the other. I understand that they take some getting used to. Also check your company's ops specs...for example, at my carrier their use by pilots is prohibited.

I found when I needed to start wearing bifocals that the "no-line" bifocals wouldn't work on the flight deck. (Some brands are better than others, so don't give up right away.) So I wore a pair of old-fashioned "lined" bifocals while working. However, these didn't seem to work well at night, so once the paper work was done, then I switched to my single vision lenses for flt. A pain, but it worked and we do what we can to see to get the job done.

Finally, 3yrs ago, while updating my prescription, I was talked into trying Veralux (brand) DTS no-line bifocals. Very pricey, but the best decision I ever made. I can use them thru all phases of flight, day or night. Probably the best pair of lenses I've owned in years.

So don't give up. Try other lenses. Work with a reputable optometrist that understands your work and has a generous return policy for lenses that don't work. Good luck. The switch to having to start wearing bifocals is a pain...but doable.

It's not up to a company to approve or disapprove this. The FAA does not approve of wearing contacts or glasses that are for distance in one eye and near vision in another. An AME will not approve your medical if you try to take the eye exam this way.

Doesn't matter what you do... just go to the doctor and cover your left eye and repeat: "D-E-F-P-O-T-E-C" then cover your right eye and say it backwards "C-E-T-O-P-F-E-D"

Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping for more input but I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see. The worst that can happen is I spend a few hundred bucks and don't like them. Then I just continue with what I have now.

You'll find this more helpful.

There are two ways to use contacts for Presbyopia. One is "monovision". That is to use different prescriptions in each eye; one to correct near vision and one for distant if needed. This method is NOT approved for flying.

The other method is to wear a true Multifocal lense. They work by having an "outer circle" of one prescription strength and an "inner circle" with a different strength. When your eye focuses on an object, it has the ability to pick out only the focused light it needs. This method IS approved for flying. I WEAR THEM and test out just fine with my AME.

There are several brands and this type of lense is pricey. Three manufacturers come to mind; Bausch & Lomb, Cooper and Cybavision. I wear Cybavision Air Optix multifocal. They are great because you can sleep in them. Each pair lasts about a month and costs about $20.

I hope you find this more helpful.

Geekmaster, thanks for the help. I was hoping to here from someone who is using these. This will be my first for any contacts but I don't like glasses eitherso we'll see how it goes. On a deadhead, I sat by someone who told me about them a year or two ago. His were 10 days and then throw them away. Anyway, I'm glad its working out for you and maybe it will for me as well.
David

My doctor told me to cover both eyes and read the bottom line, I got 100% correct. This new laser eye surgery is the bomb.

Latest resources

Back