• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Media out of control with "Breaking News"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had an emergency the other day- no catering on board. Good thing the news scanners didn't hear us call inside to see if there was catering waiting for us.

At least all these lame-o stories are having good outcomes, and positive pilot spins....

TWA Dude said:
BTW, that A318 could've saved a lot of time by just landing overweight. Emergency authority allows it.

Yes, you are correct - IF they had declared an emergency, which they never did. It wasn't an emergency landing, it wasn't an emergency situation, and therefore there was no emergency authority. It was simply a diversion, intended to avoid an emergency situation - there was no need to hustle down and land, overweight at that.

mar said:
...A FedEx Caravan just landed with one operating engine.

The packages are O.K.

The pilot however has been detained by the TSA for what appears to be possesion of a mechanical pencil.

...and a fully automatic FN F.A.L.

mar said:
I just think it's debateable whether or not an overweight landing would be better than burning off the fuel.
My point is that an overweight landing in good weather with a long runway is not a big deal and that there appears to have been no safety issue with doing so. Not monday-morning quarterbacking, just providing an alternative option.

jetalc said:
Yes, you are correct - IF they had declared an emergency, which they never did. It wasn't an emergency landing, it wasn't an emergency situation, and therefore there was no emergency authority.
The "E" word need not be declared for the captain's emergency authority to be in effect. Futhermore, ATC can and does declare the emergency for the flight if the pilots don't. I can guarantee they asked the Frontier pilots for their souls-on-board and fuel. One day in an MD80 our right main gear wouldn't come up so we returned to BOS. We didn't declare, in fact, we said everything was just fine. No big deal, but ATC did ask for our s.o.b. and fuel and rolled the equipment for us. If we had been overweight in this instance we probably would've circled but we'd also have made the news. The TV does add ten pounds.

I remember when I was about 8 years old, and a special bulletin came in the middle of the program I was watching announcing the assassination of Martin Luther King. I had no idea who he was, but I remember it being kind of scary. It used to be that when those rare "We interrupt this program for a special news bulletin!" came on you braced yourself for some really momentous news (an assassination; the Apollo 1 fire comes to mind). I half expected one of them would one day announce that a massive attack from the Soviet Union was imminent, and to seek shelter immediately. Nowadays, I still stop what I'm doing, but usually to be informed that Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey have split up, or that the L.A. police are chasing yet another stolen vehicle, or something like that. It's getting most annoying and ridiculous. I half expect someday soon to be interrupted by a bulletin saying "Man stops what he's doing to view news flash" and see myself gawking from the TV screen. A steady descent into virtual insanity!!!!

Understood.

TWA Dude said:
My point is that an overweight landing in good weather with a long runway is not a big deal and that there appears to have been no safety issue with doing so. Not monday-morning quarterbacking, just providing an alternative option.

I gotcha now. Thanks.

I love when CNN refers to "aviation expert" John King! I never could stand to watch his videos.

Cassive Mock said:
I love when CNN refers to "aviation expert" John King! I never could stand to watch his videos.

King Videos, The best sleep aid I have ever used.

Latest resources

Back