Mechanics Pay??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sbn340mech said:
Hey CHQ. did you work for ChiEx in MDW or SBN? I'm pretty sure know you since we probably worked together at one time
MDW - mx control.
It seems as if half of MDW C8 mx went to AWAC and the other to CHQ. It's strange to see the other guys wearing a different uniform now. Although we might get a few more in the coming months....

CHQ Mx said:
I don't thing it's quite as bleak as some make it out to be.

'bleak' is relative. The problem is the trend wherein many hired on with airlines 15 to 20 years ago and have spent a career on rotating days off and swing or midnight shift with long daily commutes as even the best of the major airline mechanic's salaries normally wouldn't qualify you for a house within 50 miles of the metro airport location. There were opportunities along the way to make a move but the pay and benefits are what inticed most to stick it out. During this time the major airline managements were investing in the support infrastructure that would allow nearly the complete outsourcing of maintenance. It's no coincidence that the outside maintenance facilities are controlled and run by ex-airline executives. The final step in this trend is for the corporations to default on the pension obligations. The pensions were a big part of why many stayed and put up with the less than ideal career situations.

The outsourced maintenance is done mostly by unlicensed labor. An A&P is only required to sign off the documents and that is normally done by an airline ex-manager although as outsourcing has increased there is pressure to recruit more licensed mechanics for the purpose of clearing up all of that pesky paperwork.

You can say that there are plenty willing to take that $30/hr job and do it for $20/hr but for every one of those there are a hundred in Korea, China, Guatamala or a host of other places willing to do it for less than $2/hr. The only thing preventing most of the major airlines from outsourcing maintenance overseas are the union contracts and they are all under full scale assault at this time. I'm afraid that good paying aviation maintenance jobs at major airlines are something that the board of directors of those corporations are actively seeking to eliminate.

So you could call it 'bleak' but there is life outside of aviation and I'm witnessing an unprecedented shift where many talented and experienced mechanics have decided to abandon the industry for better prospects in other fields. If you really have a passion for aviation you can eke out a living but just don't let anyone know about your passion as they will generally interpret that as meaning you're willing to do it for nothing.

Weasel Keeper said:
sbn340, then you probably know 6 or 7 people who work at Shuttle now too. ;)

Yeah I know of at least 6 guys from SBN who are now at Shuttle. Though I've heard some of them are looking elsewhere already. (shoddy mx practices)

I ended up going with Skyway Airlines in MKE. working on B1900's and Dornier 328jets. We'll see how that goes for now.

For those out there that are trying to switch to cars, there is that dreaded "two-sided coin". The pay is going to be a big variable depending on your locale. If you are going to a dealership, you will probably be on a team with a team leader handing out assignments. You will be on a 9-5 clock with little OT. Depending on the dealership, if you have a comeback and someone else has to make it right, you will most likely have their hours deducted from your pay stub.
Some shops have double shifts so you might be able to work either days or nights which might make it good for the family. there is more but to make it simple go to the thread about switching from aviation to autos. Might make some more sense. Good luck, Barnie

in the same boat.

hey 30MK, I was actually wondering the same thing. I am currently trying to look for an Aviation mechanic job here in the Tampa Bay area. i just got out of the Army after 6 years of working on AH-64D Longbow Apache's. Ive seen it looking like about 13.00 to 16.00 an hour starting. And alot of the time, thats for an A&P certified mechanic, not just a school trained ground level mech.

Im a recovering A&P. I work on Buses now. Big ,Heavy, greasey Grey Hound type buses. Im making allot more money,I have weekends off,No feds. Ill never work on a airplane again. And I brought two others with me.Its a no brainer. Id rather be poked in the eye with a blunt stick than work on a aircraft again. Bitter? No. Happier? Oh ya! One other thing. I found out a mechanic is a mechanic. Lefty loosey righty tighty. Aircraft looks good on the resume and will get you that job.But a good lawnmower mech makes more money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back