Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

30MK

Hey fellows.

Im currently going to a 2 year college, getting my Associates degree in Aviation Maintanance. Flying is not really going anywhere for now.

I live in the Boeing Seattle area. What is the ussual starting pay salary for a mechanic who just graduated college.? Many guys I know get hired to work for Boeing, or Sea Tac Inter.

Thanks in advance

30MK

Starting in the midwest at regional operator, Shuttle America is $13.25/hr. Been there done that...

Thanks Indy GTP...

Is that the average, or the salarys higher with big shots such as Alaska, United, etc? And how quick are raises in this business? Thank you ..

30MK

United is 4,000 strong on furlough so I don't see them hiring or calling back for a long time. Not sure about Alaska, but generally a major airline (United, NWA, Delta, American) will start you at around $16-18/hr +$0.50-1.00 for each license you hold. It all depends on what the union has the pay scale set at.

Regional airlines (Comair, Mesa, Chautauqua) typical pay rate for first year is starting around $12-18/hr, depending on location.

The nice thing about the major airlines was the ability to top out somewhere in the neighborhood of $30/hr. At the regional level you might be able to start out more but top out at most places is less then $22/hr and it takes you a long time to get there.

Good luck with your new career. There are still alot of jobs out there, just nothing comparable to what the pay was before 9/11, but still enough to live off of.

Last edited:
Mechanics pay

Thats a good one, I am an A&P trying to make the jump to cars - for the money and the great hours! Anybody outthere allready done this?

I'd like to hear how you got shops to give you a job. I am having trouble getting interviews because nobody outside of aviation has any idea how well we are trained or what we do!

10years as an A&P
FreightDogs

Why switch to cars?

I've had the thought myself. Get hired on with a dealership and work Mon - Fri, 9-5 in a somewhat heated garage out of the elements and not have anywhere near the liabilty factor that A&P's have. Not to mention ASE certified mechanics generally make quite a bit more than we do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back