• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MDW here comes Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But the 50 or so that interviewed waited less time for an interview then many in the application stack.

I was part of the pref group, and I had my app in since 2001 w/ a type. I think I had waited longer than some of the non-ATA applicants that came through. By you making a blanket statement like that is inaccurate.

Now, that being said, I did not get hired at SWA. I'm happy for those ATA bros that did. BUT, from indirect knowledge of the people involved in the hiring process, THEY NEVER HAD ANY INTENTION OF HIRING ME! That, my friend is BS. Don't bring me in for an interview, getting my hopes up that "We really want to hire all of you", getting all excited and trying my G-D DAM- hardest, knowing in their heads before even meeting me that I wasn't even in the running. I can handle rejection in the form of "You know, we're sorry that you are getting furloughed, and we see that you have a type and meet our mins, but your hours are not competitive at this time." That is the honorable way of dealing with someone. THAT I can handle.

Now, some of you may say that I'm bitter that I didn't get hired. Nope. I'm happily employed and I wish nothing but the best for all my friends at SWA. The pilots there are great! I appreciate all of the rides that I get to and from work. I was just making a point that maybe, just maybe, somewhere in the hiring process, some people don't get a fair shake.

To all of the ATA guys out there: I'm sorry for all of the BS that is going on. It kills me to see what's going on. Hang in there - I hope that something better will come around for all of you. PM me if you have any questions.

1800 RVR

1800 RVR said:
BUT, from indirect knowledge of the people involved in the hiring process, THEY NEVER HAD ANY INTENTION OF HIRING ME! 1800 RVR

Your sources are incorrect. And probably just trying to protect you. Now you have direct information from people involved.

Rejection is difficult to face. It is for everyone. But to think that SWA brings applicants in that they know they will reject is simply being in denial. This company wouldn't waste a penny on anyone that they remotely thought that to be a possibility.

Believe what you want. But that idea alone is not the standard that SWA looks for in a candidate. And we do pick up on those attitudes in the interview.

I guess it should have read "Southwest doesn't like to waste money. Southwest would not waste its time conducting interviews just for a dog and pony show." Or something like CanyonBlue said. You guys are so sensitive..

While this was in no way an attempt to dis ATA guys. (I'm sure whatever I type will be twisted around). What you guys are talking about would be more like a merger/buy out where we would take everybody, like a Morris deal. Sorry, that is not the case here, not right now. Just because you work or worked for ATA you don't have an automatic in.. you still have to make it past "the process".

Maybe they stopped interviewing guys because we are going to be buying out ATA and y'all are coming over anyway? Who knows what they are "planning"

Your sources are incorrect. And probably just trying to protect you. Now you have direct information from people involved.

SWAdude,

I hear ya. The source that I heard from came from someone that is also involved in the process (supposedly). Let me just say, we were told that ATA candidates didn't have enough quality experience and PIC turbine, even though 4-year captains in the 737 were getting shot down. You never know what's true or not; you just evaluate what is plausible as truth or not.

I truly believe that I had my best interview ever when I went to DAL. I walked out of the process feeling that I had put my best foot forward, etc. It wasn't to be. I'm not mad or angry, I just believe that the whole process isn't 100% bulletproof. At my present employer, I thought I had blown the interview - I walked out literally thinking that I had no chance in heck. Surprise: I got hired.

I wasn't expecting SWA to give me a job; I knew that I had to earn it. I was grateful that they brought me down to talk to me. There is just a small part of me that thinks that I was never competitve to begin with, and due to the deal in MDW between Daley, ATA, and SWA, "x" amount of people had to be interviewed by SWA to appear as they were interested in keeping Chicago jobs in Chicago.

Again, to repeat, I'm not angry,and I wish all the best to my fellow pilots at SWA. This is just one man's opinion and $0.02.

Sure pick on the SWA/FO the most quoted man on flightinfo.com. And the only 5 Star Senior Member on the entire board!!!

Last edited:
Apparently all these ATA pilots aren't "5-Star Senior Members" or "the most quoted man on flightinfo.com", I guess thats what it takes to get on at SWA these days.

FWIW, I think SWA/FO is getting a little too much heat from this.

I know of 14 ATA furloughees who got hired by SWA, plus one non furloughee. I'd also be willing to bet there are several more that I don't know or haven't heard of, which makes the numbers more consistent with applicants from the street. I do, however, think the numbers should/could have been much higher... nearly EVERY ATA pilot I knew or flew with was not only a great pilot but someone I'd look forward to flying another 5-day trip with.

SWA didn't hire some people that really should have gotten the job IMHO. SWA also hired some people that I didn't think were as good for SWA as some they denied... but is there any airline or company that hires exactly right?

I interviewed at AirTran before I interviewed at SWA. Due to many factors, only some of which were beyond my control, I really screwed up the interview at AirTran and didn't get hired. This reality check made me work that much harder for the SWA interview, and it worked. I know of several ATA guys that were the opposite: they interviewed at SWA first, got turned down, then interviewed at AirTran and got hired. Perhaps this is one reason the statistics may show AirTran hiring a few more ATA pilots than SWA (but I'm not even sure that's an accurate statistic).

And who knows, as a SWA jumpseater told me a while back, "There will be no more rumors until the merger is complete."

Anyway, this industry is a mess, and I wish it could just work out for the best for everyone.

Replying to an earlier post, there is no way you will see SW at MSP as long as NW is still in business. This is red tail country and they have the Metropolitan Airport Commision wired for sound. Why do you think an airline that is in such dire straights as NW has the pull to boot all non-codeshare airlines to the Humphrey? No team can win evey game, and in my opinion SW would do better focusing their attention elsewhere. As a side note, SW got what they wanted out of the ATA deal, keeping AirTran out! I do believe initially the deal appeared better to the ATA folks, but in the long run I don't believe this will be the case. SW will cut the cord on ATA when they are done playing. Remember Chicago Express. A profitable feeder bringing 1,000,000 passengers a year into MDW set out to pasture because it didn't fit into the SW plan. I hope this isn't the case, but I don't think it is out of the question. Just my 2 cents worth.

Latest resources

Back