MD80 Falcon Air Express PFT Lives!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doctors and Lawyers

I don't know that the Doctor and Lawyer comparison is valid here. Everybody pays for education and the basic qualifications they need for their profession including doctors, lawyers firefighters and pilots. The basic qualification and education allow you to qualifly for positions anywhere in the industry. The problem I have with PFT programs is that you are paying for specific training that's usually only good for one company and has little or no value to other employers. What if you pay 11K for training at Falcon Express or whatever the hell it is and the company shuts down a week after they have your money? Does the training have any value as far as getting you another job? If you spend money on college and basic ratings they are required everywhere and have value to all employers. A doctor or a laywer is paying for an education that allows them to work anywhere not at one particular hospital or law firm. This is the big problem I had with PFT in the early 90's for regionals. You would have had to pay for training that was only valid at one company. I refused to do it and spent a few months longer until I gained enough experience to get hired at a carrier that didn't send me the bill for training that was required at THEIR company.

Like it or not, you may gain personally through PFT but it will hurt you and everyone else in the long run because it sends the signal to employers that they can always find low timers willing to PFT. I like to think of it this way: PFT is bad and if nobody participated it would go away; it only survives because people are willing to do it.

As far as SWA is concerned, I don't agree with that either but at least you get to work for a good company if you get hired. As somebody pointed out, I don't think that SWA does it to save money as much as to use it as a screening tool to find out who really wants to work at SWA. Unfortunately, SWA misses out on a lot of very good potential applicants because it puts a financial roadblock in the way of employment consideration. They have great employees at SWA but they might have even better ones if they were willing to look at everyone.

fam62c said:
The problem I have with PFT programs is that you are paying for specific training that's usually only good for one company and has little or no value to other employers. QUOTE]

Just like a 737 type rating. Especially when you've got zero time in the airplane, which most that buy the type do. If it works out and you get on with SWA, the gamble pays off. If not, you are left with some worthless ink on your ticket. It is taking a chance with your wallet to take a shot at a job. No difference.

Give this guy a break

I went through a similar program at Aeroservice and was very happy with the program. Tell me guys, when does a new low time pilot stop paying his dues? I did not think that I would be a good flight instructor and did not think that flying pipeline patrol or traffic watch would be a good option. I enrolled, became an FE for one airline and a few months later was offered a position with another airline.

The statement that the training that you take for one airline does not work for any other is crazy. I earned my FE ticket which I wanted to get anyway. I feel that I earned a job and am very happy.

I don't think that you can criticize a course like this unless you understand how it works. I spent about 7k for my FE ticket. The only other alternative was to spend 40k for a time building course. I make the right choice.

Keep going airracer, you have the right attitude, don't listen to these old sour guy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back