• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MD-80 WX Radar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I prefered the MD80 radar to the NG 737 equipment. Both are very good, but in a scenario like you describe I would say that the MD80s were doing that because they were actually getting a better look at the wx and found a hole.

I was thinking the same thing. I've only used low wattage "modern radar" and am not impressed. It doesn't seem to discriminate well between levels of precipitation. The result is we go around everything because we can't tell what is convective and what is harmless. I'm not saying this is bad policy, just that I understand why an MD-80 (assuming it has a more powerful radar) would go through a line that I wouldn't.

I was thinking the same thing. I've only used low wattage "modern radar" and am not impressed. It doesn't seem to discriminate well between levels of precipitation. The result is we go around everything because we can't tell what is convective and what is harmless. I'm not saying this is bad policy, just that I understand why an MD-80 (assuming it has a more powerful radar) would go through a line that I wouldn't.

One thing that goes with "modern radar": generally you've got a real nice FMC with fixes and routing that you can overlay with wx radar. That additional SA [perhaps] helps a pilot make a better decision on what doesn't need to be flown through. As opposed to the MD80 I flew that only had two VORs and an ADF?! We just got throught the wx and then asked for direct something.

Latest resources

Back