MD-80 WX Radar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DHPFLYN

Just curious how well your radar works. I was checking out some flights leaving DFW tonight and noticed almost all the MD-80's were going straight through the weather. Most of the other aircraft were going either north or south of it before heading out west. Just curious if the MD80 radar is that good? Or they just don't want to fly around it?

The line looks pretty nasty, tops of FL450-550. Sure doesn't look like anything fun to fly through. Like I said just curious how well that radar works for finding holes.

Just curious how well your radar works. I was checking out some flights leaving DFW tonight and noticed almost all the MD-80's were going straight through the weather. Most of the other aircraft were going either north or south of it before heading out west. Just curious if the MD80 radar is that good? Or they just don't want to fly around it?

The line looks pretty nasty, tops of FL450-550. Sure doesn't look like anything fun to fly through. Like I said just curious how well that radar works for finding holes.

I'm sure they just all "flew right through it". Didn't you see the news coverage on channel YOUR A MORON tonight? Wreckage spewed all over central TX as the inept AA pilots disregarded personal safety, years of training, company and Faa guidelines and became test pilots.

And the award goes to...........????

I prefered the MD80 radar to the NG 737 equipment. Both are very good, but in a scenario like you describe I would say that the MD80s were doing that because they were actually getting a better look at the wx and found a hole.

Remember the old commuter credo?: Don't be Late, Penetrate. AA's just a big commuter airline.

{in jest}

I'm sure they just all "flew right through it". Didn't you see the news coverage on channel YOUR A MORON tonight? Wreckage spewed all over central TX as the inept AA pilots disregarded personal safety, years of training, company and Faa guidelines and became test pilots.

Why taking it so personal? Look at the flight track. It was just a question. Most went around except for the MD80's. I am not bashing crews or arlines just asking about the radar. I do live in Texas and did see that line and is why I am asking.

Latest resources

Back