• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

May you pushback without a "fuel slip"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
<<How many airlines push without the PIC signing the logbook and making sure that there are no open write ups?>>

The FAA will sign off on just about any operating procedure. At my airline, USAirways, we (captains) do not sign the logbook anymore and we are only responsible for the previous log page for open write ups. If there are 20 open write ups 2 or more log pages previous then no one cares, including the FAA meaning I won't be held responsible.

I remember the days when we used to have to calculate and file our own duty/flight times including running calculations for 30 in 7. Now, no one cares except the computer and it is almost always wrong anyway but no one gets in trouble.

As for the fuel slip we still require it though I don't care. I never look at it nor make the conversions. If the fuel gauges are close then that is all that counts. If they aren't then mx MELs the fuel guages and we do actual drip readings. Probably the only time you have an accurate indication of fuel on board. I could care less if the company is getting shortchanged on fuel. That is really one of the least of my worries!

d

Last edited:
At NW, you get the fuel slip in gallons, convert it to pounds, add it to what the airplane came in with, and that's what should be on the gauges.

Why would you base the accuracy of the fuel gauges on a calculation that uses a reading taken from the same gauges?:confused:

Is it accurate to say some of the older equipment flying around may not have as accurate of gauges as the newer equipment? I can't say for certain that the gauges on the CRJ are super accurate, but there has always been fuel in the tanks when we've landed, which is why I suspect they don't require a fuel slip at Comair.

Why would you base the accuracy of the fuel gauges on a calculation that uses a reading taken from the same gauges?:confused:

Is it accurate to say some of the older equipment flying around may not have as accurate of gauges as the newer equipment? I can't say for certain that the gauges on the CRJ are super accurate, but there has always been fuel in the tanks when we've landed, which is why I suspect they don't require a fuel slip at Comair.

No, the gauges are fine. The reading in gallons we get is off of the meter on the fuel truck or fuel hydrant.

Inbound Readings + Fuel Boarded (in gallons from truck meter) = current reading

This shows that everything is working ok.

Nu

I think the issue is that if you use the fuel gauges for any part of the calculation, "Inbound Readings," then you are using possibly flawed data to check for flawed data...

I think the point is, if the amount indicated by the gauges increased by the same amount the truck put in, they are at least working to some degree. I agree that using the gauges to check the gauges isn't an ideal scenario.

Just curious how many airlines (if any) allow you to pushback before recieving an electronic or radio "fuel slip".

I know some pilots who say you aren't allowed to pushback until you have recieved your fuel numbers via radio or hard copy. Why can't you just compare your fuel guages to the release fuel? Then verify that the fuel slip (radio or electornic) matches during taxi out.

Why is fuel any different than recieving your weight + balance after pushback (radio or electronic.)

Who really cares? You work for a company, they tell what the policy is. What are you looking for a FAR?

Hey Glass,

Perhaps that is why they've has so many "bingo fuel" incidents!

B6 with a lot of Biz-Ex-ers.......

Vastly

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back