• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

May 20 Alaska Position Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what? If you're a trusted employee who has a qualified candidate kid I see absolutely no problem with it.

Gup

So what? If you're a trusted employee who has a qualified candidate kid I see absolutely no problem with it.

Gup

Unfortunately it leads to a reinforcement of the "good old boy" network.

Gup

I can think of two issues right off the bat:
1. Some employees are more trusted than others, i.e. "his kid got hired but mine didn't"
2. Did you turn down an "astronaut" to hire the "Captain's kid"

Gup

If it was only used to distinguish between two otherwise equally qualified candidates, I would have no reservations. Unfortunately, that has not always been the case.

Question...what exactly is the "silver bullet" program. How did it work? How does it differ from just writing a letter? Is it a guranteed interview if you have one?

I guess back in the day when pilot input meant something for the hiring process, one could obtain this silver bullet which was basically of a letter of Rec. However, being the great Alaska Airline, someone had to re-invent the letter of recommendation, hence the term "Silver Bullet". (we like re-inventing things)

Rumor has it a person could only write one a year, so if the crusty old gummer Capt (insert your favorite 60+ year old capt name here) had two kids he wanted to get hired, he had to pick his favorite kid this year, then do the other a year later! Or simply take both kids stuff into the chief pilots office!

Now a days, HR has their hands all over the hiring process, so I think a letter of rec from a pencil pusher would carry just as much weight if not more then an actual pilot recommendation!!!!

From what I've heard if you had one of these golden "Silver Bullets" you were put on the top of the pile for interviews.

One good thing about HR being involved as much as they are, it may cut down on some of the inbreeding, I mean nepotism going on. Did I really say that out loud?!?!

Last edited:
"Cut down on the inbreeding"....as a legacy employee I had to interview twice..after working the ramp for 8 years and flying the Midwest/ northeast for 7 years. I believe on some occasions it hurts you to be related to another pilot on our list. And my relative was a well liked company man! And no I'm not a tool...ask my wife:)

I can think of two issues right off the bat:
Did you turn down an "astronaut" to hire the "Captain's kid"

Depends ....... :nuts:

Does the Astronaut list her interests as:

1. Long distance driving,

2. Adult diapers, and

3. Mace.

Depends ....... :nuts:

Does the Astronaut list her interests as:

1. Long distance driving,

2. Adult diapers, and

3. Mace.

Ha, ha, that's funny sh!t. I spilled my beer I was laughing so hard!!

Latest resources

Back