• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Maximum flying time for 1 month?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually .265 and .267 are areas that the operator can chose to operate under, if they meet certain requirements. Several cargo operators chose to operate under both sections. And there will be a paragraph or two in the OPS Manual discussing that.

As for the 91 legs home. That can be a sticky question. The reposition legs to and from a charter flight are considerd 91. According to decisions from FAA Legal, the requirements of ~119.1 must be met for the flight to be considered a 135 flight. Must carry passengers and/or cargo for compensation or hire. Some inspectors and FAA attorneys look at the repositioning legs as 'transportion, not local in nature, provided by the company'. Therefore it is not rest.

Now that you are totally confused, welcome to the club.

300 hours commercial flying in a 30 day period for 2-pilot un-sked 135 ops. Any time you are paid to fly, even on a 91 leg, it is considered commercial time. It is not refered to as time under this part.

O.K., so I have some reading to do. It sounds like it is an unscheduled job. How long is a quarter? 3 months I presume, but 500 hrs sounds like a lot of flying single pilots in that short of time.

300 hours? Wow, so basically for all intents and purposes it's unlimited? Where does it actually give that figure?

It sure would be nice if the regs were easily interpreted by those who actually use them on a daily basis. There's nothing like flying around and doing something and thinking "hmm, I wonder if this is legal," because you're honestly unsure of it, even though you've studied the applicable FARs.

There's a Jeppesen book called "Part 135 Explained in Plain English" or something to that effect- has anyone read it and is it worth picking up?

So I show up to the airport at 9:30pm to depart for a 30 minute flight to pick up the tests for the day. Usually depart the second airport at 11pm (give or take 30 minutes) 2.2-2.4 hour trip to drop off the freight, then a 2 hour trip home, 15 minutes of paper work and a 50 minute commute home. Usually no more than 7-8 hrs from departure to landing at home. Would this require a 9 hr rest period.--- Starting when I drive my car away from the airport.

Sorry if I'm a little slow, with deer hunting approaching and working, I'm running myself ragged, I don't catch on too quickly lately and it's starting to show!

Would this require a 9 hr rest period.--- Starting when I drive my car away from the airport.

If all you are doing is that scheduled run, and your Operation Specifications specify that 135.265 is applicable then yes - there is no use to remaining on duty. However, if you want to juggle the flight instructing as well (with the same operator), therefore you could at the beginning of the week (after 24 consecutive hours rest):

1 The latest you could go on duty at 21:30, fly 5 hours, remain on duty to instruct another 3 hours until 12:30, then leave, take nine hours rest (away from the airport), and go back on duty the following duty day at 21:30 again.

Or (Assuming you finish your freight flying at around 4am)

2 The earliest you could go on duty - 1300 fly up to 3 hours with students, then fly your frieght as usual and go off duty at 4am (as scheduled/expected).

It would be dictated by the first duty day of the week, after the 24 hours consecutive rest in 7 consecutive days.

On your flight manifest there should be somewhere to write the time you go on duty, amount of rest you got prior to going on duty, time off duty, and time available to go on duty again.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that you go 'on duty' when you arrive at the airport with the intent to fly - the drive there doesn't count - and off-duty when you leave the airport after you're done with your paperwork.

Your Director of Operations is really the one to ask. He'll be totally familiar with your Operations Specifications (has his signature all over it), and has operational control over you, as a line pilot. Assuming s/he wants to keep their job, and violations to a minimum.

Last edited:
NoPax said:
.....1,200 hours in any calendar year.
120 hours in any calendar month.
34 hours in any 7 consecutive days.
8 hours during any 24 consecutive hours .....

Small correction here. You are limited to 8 hours scheduled time during any single DUTY period. You MAY be scheduled for more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period if there is a legal rest between the two duty periods in that window.

Andy Neill said:
Small correction here. You are limited to 8 hours scheduled time during any single DUTY period. You MAY be scheduled for more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period if there is a legal rest between the two duty periods in that window.

I cut & pasted directly from the Reg 135.265
http://www.gofir.com/fars/part135/

When you go on duty you look back during the previous 24 hours and ask - Have I had required rest/reduced? Can I complete the flight without exceeding 8 hours flight time / 24 consecutive hours? I haven't heard of any deviations of the 8 hours flight time per 24 consecutive hours for single pilots.

Do you mean to say that you can go on duty at 1800, fly 5 hours, off duty at 0400, back on at 1200 (legal reduced rest) to fly scheduled trip of 4 hours off duty at 1800 again - total of 9 hours flight from 1800 to 1800??? If so - I haven't heard that, and it sounds contrary to the reg.

Maybe the only acceptable exceptions would be Weather, Late Freight, or ATC Delays that weren't forseen.

I stand partially corrected. When I quoted, I left out the very necessary phrase ""for a flight crew consisting of only one pilot".

A crew of two could indeed be scheduled for the times you cited but not a single pilot operation. One need only look at the later portion of your quote discussing the required rest for more than eight or even more than nine hours of SCHEDULED time within the last 24 hours to see that such a schedule is allowed for with proper rest.

Latest resources

Back